9 - The Overlook

Even from a distance, it is clear that Insomnia has fallen.

Smoke weaves wandering trails across the grey sky, darker grey on a gloomy canvas. Buildings that once dominated the skyline are scraggled toothmarks against the clouds now, part of all of the upper floors smashes to rubble.

Gladio is pacing, trying to channel his anger into something productive, working through scenarios outloud to Prompto, who is not listening, blue eyes looking colorless under limp blonde bangs.

Ignis is looking at the city with grief in his eyes, rubbing one hand against the upper part of his other arm absent-mindedly in a very non-Ignis-like gesture. His advisor's face is thoughtful as always but there is sadness there too.

Chrys's face is as bleak as Noct has ever seen it, the pallor in her face clear on her normally sun-kissed skin, dark hollows under her eyes. She hasn't said much of anything in the past hours, hours which have seemed like a lifetime to Noctis.

Prompto's phone is giving them a blow by blow of the news, the crackling voice of the woman on the radio harsh and grating as the rain begins to drizzle down around them.

As to the ceasefire between the two nations, all provisional terms have been suspended in light of recent developments. Moreover, in the wake of the news of King Regis' death we've now received word that Crown Prince Noctis and the Oracle Lunafreya have also been pronounced dead.

Prompto looks ready to shut his phone off at Noctis's quiet gasp but Gladio barks, "Keep it on."

Fumbling, Prompto drops his phone. He tries to pick it up, but Noct yells, "Don't bother!" They've never heard him this angry. Chrys bends down to pick up Prompto's phone without taking her eyes off the prince. Ignis is looking at his phone now too, confirming the reports.

Dreadnoughts move languidly overhead, dust and dew spraying in spirals around them as their phones pick up signals at the overlook. Gladio has his phone tight to his ear, as does Noct. Ignis and Chrys keep their eyes skyward, cataloging the number of Niflheim ships making their way towards Insomnia. They exchange a brief glance, sharing and confirming a grim number.

"Hello?" Noctis says into his phone. "Cor?"

"So, you made it," Cor says wearily on the other end of the line.

"What the hell is going on?" Noctis demands, watery rage in a suddenly young sounding voice.

"Where are you?" Cor asks quickly, voice sharpening.

"Outside the city, with no way back in," Noctis says.

"Make sense," Cor confirms.

"Makes sense?!" Noctis demands, a kind of hyperventilation giving his anger breathy edges. "Are you serious? What about any of this makes any sense?!" His fist clenches at his side and Prompto looks to Chrys, utterly at a lose of what to do. She shakes her head at him slightly, waiting.

"The news just told me I'm dead," Noct growls at Cor over the phone. "Along with my father and Luna."

"Listen," Cor says evenly. "I'm heading out to Hammerhead." Noct gives a growl of frustration. There is a pause on the other end of the line. "About the king..," Cor says voice softer and sympathetic. "It's true."

Noctis's eyes widen, shock, grief, anger all colliding on his face. He spins to look at Insomnia, his phone pressed to his ear with bruising force, hand curled around the metal and plastic like a claw.

"If you want the whole truth," Cor says. "You know where to find me. Get moving."

Noctis looks ready to throw the phone, his lip trembling. After a moment he draws in a steady enough breath to say, "Right." The line clicks off and Noct lowers the phone slowly, eyes on Insomnia.