7 - When the Next Sun Rises

It's evening the next day and the boys are preparing to go gemstone hunting. Chrys griped all afternoon about how they were lazy slobs for sleeping in until noon. She'd flounced off into the tree line, or flounced as much as a muscular, leather-clad woman can flounce, and has only just arrived back, in a better mood for having had tinkered with her bow in peace and quiet in the trees for a while.

After a quick drive, they are now creeping around rock formations and shrubs to find Dino's gems. Chrys, having fulfilled her griping quota for the day, doesn't say much about their errand but her displeasure rolls off her in waves as she follows the guys hill and dale. Even Gladio and Ignis seem to be put-out about this latest and greatest errand.

"Maybe Cid was right about your lack of dignity," Gladio muses thoughtfully. Noct gives him the evil eye. "We seem to be doing a lot of these blasted side quests lately."

"You're one step above delivery boy," Prompto jokes.

"Royal rank carries little weight outside the Crown City," Ignis says tactfully when Noct looks like he wants to beat up Prompto for calling him a delivery boy.

"Glad its not weighing me down," Noct retorts sourly but nods at Ignis.

"Well, you're dragging us around on deliveries with you," Chrys points out. "At this rate we should just paint our delivery service logo on the side of the Regalia and put Noctis's phone number on our bumper."

"Blasphemy!" Prompto gasps in mock shock. "You wouldn't deface our precious Regalia so."

Chrys crosses her arms and gives him a pointed eyebrow raise. "You don't know what I would or wouldn't deface."

They tromp around through the rapidly encroaching dusk, starting to stumble as the light fades. The terrain is rocky, with scrubby grass and bushes, like the land around Hammersmith where they fought the reapertails and sabertusks. Gladio is in the lead, periodically checking the map with his small torch clipped to his lapel. They wander a bit, being careful not to sprain ankles before Gladio stops.

"Are you sure we're in the right place?" Noct asks, looking around. He doesn't see any mineral deposits.

"According to the map," Gladio says, squinting at it in the twilight sky.

"Are you holding it right side up?" Chrys asks.

Gladio punches her in the shoulder when she leans in close to take a look.

"Let's go check it out," Gladio says and strides away purposefully before Chrys retaliates.

They round a corner and freeze.

Ahead of them is a massive bird, its neck a swan-like curve against the dusky twilight sky, it's enormous beak just peeking out from underneath wings the size of sails. It's the same creature they saw driving near Hammersmith, the size of it even more daunting now that they are up close and personal. The Zu makes small snuffling noises in its sleep, its chest moving like a bellows.

Gladio consults the map with a grim look. "I'm guessing, because it seems to be our luck, that the stones are on the other side of that monstrosity."

"Oh em gee. We're supposed to get near that thing?" Prompto squeaks.

"Pipe down before you wake it up," Gladio and Chrys say at exactly the same time. Both look disgustedly at each other while Noctis smothers a laugh. Disgruntled, Chrys slides sideways away from Gladio muttering something under her breath.

"Perhaps, quietly then," Ignis says when Prompto shifts and bangs into a rock, cursing.

Gladio, ever Mister Swagger, takes off first at a crouch, each of them dimming the small torches pinned to their collars and lapels. Noct is behind Gladio, eyes on the Zu, Prompto just behind him, still tripping around in the dark. Ignis is at the rear with Chrys, but when he turns to look back for her, there are only shadows. Eyebrows creasing in concentration, Ignis squints into the dark, trying to pick Chrys out but there is no sound, no movement to give her away. It makes chills skitter down his spine to realize that she can fold seamlessly into the night and they have no idea where she is.