Part 2, Chapter 3: Divide

Wellston Private High School:

Infirmary, 11:07 AM

-------------------------------------------------------

Seraphina was staring at John in disbelief at his last words, the truth she fought so hard to get him to reveal. Once again, John had managed to catch her off guard, surprising her with his latest move.

"What do you mean you're leaving!" She asked. "After everything that just happened you want to go where exactly!?"

John had lost all his playfulness from earlier and returned to his normal, serious expression, opening his mouth to answer her.

"Sera, that last fight... It made me realize some things, some choices I have to make..." John responded.

"What does that even mean!?" Seraphina asked, bewildered.

"In my life there have been many versions of myself... The boy, the tyrant, the cripple, the Joker, the King, and most recently, the new me" John began. "Every time I go through one of these phases I end up holding myself back, thinking that the previous ways I acted were wrong..."

Seraphina was starting to put the picture together.

"Are you saying that you want to be like you were before, you want to be that cold asshole who stole my Jo- best friend from me!" She accused him.

"NO!" John yelled. "I don't want to be like that again... But at the same time, he was stronger than me now."

"At the end of the day I was simply not powerful enough to stop anything that happened, whether it be the beating I received or the pain I saw in everyone's eyes as they watched each other be beat down mercilessly" John explained.

"And you think that reverting to your old self is the answer to that!?" Seraphina was still against him.

"I need to learn to control that power, Sera" John concluded. "That's why I will be returning to New Bostin for a little."

"Then let me come" Seraphina demanded.

"We both know you can't, they need you here. You're the only one who can stand up to that woman" said John.

"But-" Seraphina was cut off by John getting off the bed.

John had turned away from Seraphina and began to walk out of the room to show his sincerity, but she was not going to let him go that easily. Jumping off the bed too, Seraphina got up and grabbed John's arm, pulling him to face her so she could address him.

 "John... I know there is no convincing you otherwise, believe me. But please, please don't lose all this progress you've made here. Please don't go back to being the old king you were, we need you, I NEED you!" Seraphina pleaded with him.

John used her grip on his arm to pull her in for an embrace, holding her tight to show that he wasn't going anywhere. The best way for Seraphina and John to communicate their understandings of each other was not to talk, but to physically express their feelings. So when Seraphina embraced him back, it told John she was okay.

 Breaking their hug, John looked at her and spoke.

"I need to pack, I plan on leaving tonight" John explained.

"Okay... At least let me help you" Seraphina asked.

"Of course! Actually, maybe you could fix the door that you destroyed" John laughed.

"Oh right... I forgot about that. Oh! Thanks for reminding me, but what made you think it was the best idea to sleep on me?" She inquired.

"Uhm... I was too tired to move and my phone was on the table so I couldn't call anyone to help me up!" John covered.