Chapter 2- New School, New Life

Blakely's POV:

*Beep Beep Beep*

I turn over and press my alarm button to turn it off. I check my phone and see that the time is 6:00am. Days like today are never easy. I start my senior year of high school today at a new school: Langston Beach High School. I roll out of bed and head to the bathroom to get ready for the day. I put on a pair of ripped blue jeans with a short-sleeved white blouse. I don't wear a whole lot of makeup, but I do like to make my eyes standout. I put on some light eye shadow and mascara before walking downstairs.

At the bottom of the staircase at the kitchen table, I am greeted by my grandmother. 

"Good morning Blakely. How did you sleep?" Gram asked politely. I moved in with Gram 3 weeks ago after my parents decided they wanted to "make it big" in the music industry and moved to Nashville, Tennessee. They thought it would be better for me to have some stability and have someone at home with me which is why they dumped me here. Don't get me wrong, I love Gram, but she is 78 years old and does not need me on her plate to worry about. 

"Really well. I didn't realize you were going to be up so early." 

"Well, I could not miss my favorite granddaughter leaving on her first day of school. I haven't done this since your mother was in school."  She said as I grabbed a granola bar from the pantry. She looked at me concerned.

"Are you sure you don't want me to make you a hearty breakfast to fill you with energy for the big day?" I looked at the time and the clock read 6:40. 

"I'll be fine with my granola bar. Besides, I am walking to school so I have to go if I don't want to be late." 

"Well okay. Have a great day sweetie." I gave my Gram a hug and kiss on my way out the door. I know how to drive, but I do not have a car. I also think the bus is crowded and smelly most of the time. I choose to walk and it's good exercise. It takes about 20 minutes to walk to school so I put in my earbuds and listen to music as I walk. 

As I arrive to school, I pick up my schedule in the office. The woman at the desk handed me five textbooks (God knows why I need so many different books), a paper with my class schedule, and my locker number and combination. I decide that the best thing to do is to find my locker to put all these books in it. I am not going to break my back over these random books that I probably will not use. 

There are a few other students by the lockers, but no one is near mine so I have some space to mess up my combination a few times. I always forget if it is right left right or left right left. After fidgeting with the lock, my locker opened up. I carefully placed my books inside on the shelf. I could hear voices a few lockers down from mine, but could not make out what they were saying. Out of the corner of my eye, I see two guys talking to each other. They are probably talking about the next girl they are going to sleep with or if I am being honest, the next video game that is coming out. In my experience with guys, they only want one of two things: Sex or video games. 

I grab my schedule and walk off into the other direction trying to avoid contact with them. As I am walking I realize that I am getting no where near the classroom number that I am supposed to be in. I stare at my schedule confused until I hear a girl's voice.

"Do you need help?" a girl with straight blonde hair and brown eyes asked.

"Actually I do. Thanks. I am looking for English 117 with Mr. Edwards." I said with a slight smile.

"That is on the other side of the building girl. Walk straight down this hall, take a right, take a left, and walk straight down. I believe it should be on the left when you get there." the girl smiled.

"That doesn't sound confusing at all." I said sarcastically. 

"You'll get the hang of it soon. I'm Aubrey LaCarter by the way." She held out her hand.

"Blakely Tribett." I shook her hand and smiled back. Then, the bell rang. 

"Oops, you better hurry. Mr. Edwards hates when people are late. Sometimes he won't even let them in the door." She rushed off and I walked as fast as I could in the direction Aubrey had pointed me in. By this time there was no one in the hallway. I found the classroom and opened the door.

"I'm sorry, is this English 117?" I asked timidly. 

"Yes Ma'am. You're late, do you have a note?" the teacher I assumed to be Mr. Edwards pestered. 

"No, I am sorry. I got lost." I said embarrassed.

"I'll let it slide this time since it is the first day of school, but only this once. What is your name young lady?" 

"Blakely Tribett." I say as I make my way to the only seat open. As I am walking I spot the two boys I saw talking close to my locker. I guess I will be seeing their faces several times a day now, yippee. Can you feel my sarcasm? I know I don't know them or anyone here for that matter, but I stick to myself a lot. People can be cruel and I don't need any negativity my senior year so I have chosen to be me, myself, and I in whatever means I see fit. Then, I'll disappear from this town as quickly as I appeared. Thought, the one boy is pretty attractive. He has this look in his eyes that intrique me. That is none of my business though, as I said "me, myself, and I."

Once classes for the day were over, I booked it to the doors at the back of the school to start walking back. This exit is by the gym. From the hallway, I see that boy again carrying a bag which looks like it's carrying some type of gear. He must play a type of sport, but I don't understand why he is leaving the building with it. Is he stealing gear from the school? I tell myself not to get involved and walk home. 

When I get home, I talk to my Gram for a few minutes before heading to my room. I plop down on my bed and scroll through my phone. 

No missed text. No missed calls.

I thought my parents would want to see how my first day was, but I guess I was wrong.