Chapter 4

Blakely's POV:

We walked into the ice arena and there was no one really here. I guess most people do not come to an ice rink on a Thursday afternoon. There was only a man behind the counter working confessions and a woman organizing things in the store they had. 

"Wait right over there while I go change." Braxton ushered me over to the bleachers. I admired how glossy the ice looked. They must have just had the zamboni out recently for it to look so smooth.  I am from Florida so I have never been ice skating. They have some ice rinks around, but it is not the first choice of activities people would want to do. I did go to a Tampa Bay game once, but that was two years ago and I really do not know much about hockey. 

I see someone skate onto the ice dressed in hockey equipment with a number 13 on his back. The guy turned around and I could see it was Braxton (who else would it be anyway?).  He dumped a bucket of pucks onto the ice and started skating around. He took a few shots on the net and they went in. There is no goalie so I don't know how they would not go in. I keep watching him repeat his process until about seven other guys joined him on the ice and started doing the same things as him, except two who were wearing goalie equipment. Some of the players were stretching on ice too. 

They broke up into teams of three and started playing a game it looked like. From what I remember, there was definitely more than three people on a team at the Tampa Bay game so they must be just having some fun together and practicing. I watched Braxton shoot a puck at the net, while the goalie saved it. They were laughing and pushing each other around; you can tell that they love the sport. 

I decided to step outside for a minute and make a phone call. I click on my Moms contact and dial the number.

"Hi there! This is Sandra. I am sorry I missed your call. Please leave me your name and number and I will get back to you soon." I decided to leave a message.

"Hey Mom. It's Blakely. I haven't heard from you or Dad so I was just checking in. I love you. Bye." I hung up the phone and started making my way back inside. I looked into the rink and saw the guys bro hugging and leaving the ice. Braxton skated up to the part of the glass I was standing in front of.

"Want to learn some tricks?" he offered.

"No thanks. I don't do ice." I shook my head. 

"Oh c'mon, have some fun."

"It's getting late and I have to get home, but I'll see you tomorrow." I turn to start walking, but Braxton keeps talking.

"Wait!" he starts skating to the door to come off the ice. 

"I brought you here, it's only fair that I drive you home. Besides, it's dark and you can't walk home in the dark." I thought for a second, but accepted his invitation. I didn't really know how to get home from the ice arena anyway.

I open the car door and jump into his passenger seat and Braxton starts driving. 

"What'd you think?" Braxton asked.

"I think...next time I will get a snack." I laughed. Braxton smiled.

"Why don't you 'do ice'? Scared? Cause it's okay if you are." he mocked.

"I'm not scared, okay. I just haven't ever ice skated before and today is not the day to start." 

"But maybe another day?" he grinned. 

"I don't think we can be friends if you don't give it a chance." he joked.

"Is that what we are? Friends?" I looked over at him laughing.

"We can be. We might as well if we are going to be raising a baby together." referring to the family science project we were partnered for. 

"Good point. I don't think our coparenting would work otherwise." I responded. I see my house and guide Braxton to stop in front of it. 

"This is nice." Braxton admired. I live in a small house along the beach. It's not much, but it's just what my Gram and I need. 

"Thanks." I hopped out of the car leaving the door open.

"Thanks for the ride. I'll see you tomorrow?" Braxton nodded as I shut the door. When he drove off, I walked into my house ready to eat some dinner.

Braxton's POV:

I drove off leaving Blakely outside her house. I have to admit, I was hoping she would invite me inside to hang out or something. I can't believe she has never been ice skating before. I would love to teach her if she would let me. I'll have to work on that. 

I pull into my driveway and make my way inside. Mom and Dad were inside putting dinner on the table.

"Hey Braxton!" Lucas greeted from the table. Lucas is my younger brother. He is in 6th grade so there is a little age gap between us, but I still love him to pieces. I put my backpack down and take the seat next to Lucas. 

"Maybe you should take a shower before you sit here." Lucas coughed waving his hand in front of his nose. 

"Oh is that right? So it would disgust you if I did this?" I pulled Lucas's head underneath my arm, putting him in a headlock where he is basically under my armpit. 

"BOYS! Can we please leave the shenanigans outside." My Mom insisted as I released him. Everyone sat down for dinner and we ate fairly quickly. Practicing makes me work up an appetite. 

After dinner, I went up to my room to shower and look at my schedule for the next day. Blakely and I planned to work on our Family Science project during study hall together. Tomorrow is Friday so I have the day off from practice. Maybe I will go to the football game. Sometimes if we win, a player will throw a party afterwards. As I think about my schedule, I drift into a heavy sleep.