Chapter 8

Blakely's POV:

I haven't spoken to Braxton since the party on Friday night. I just haven't felt the need to text him and it's Sunday so it's not like I am going to run into him anywhere. 

"Blakely, Can you help me with the garden outside? I think some of the weeds in the bed have gotten a little overgrown." I agree and head into the backyard to the garden box. Because Gram lives along the beach, she doesn't have much room to plant directly in the ground. However, she does love gardening so the flower beds are a good fix for that. 

"Gram I think we need to get some new flowers. How long has it been since these have been watered or weeded?" I ask pushing my way through the weeds to see dead flowers.

"Oh no, my mind is not as sharp as it used to be. Maybe we should go to the nursery and find some beauties." Gram grabs her purse and motions for me to follow her to the car. I offer to drive, but Gram insist. 

When we got to the nursery, there were so many different options. There were beautiful orange marigolds, sunflowers, rose bushes, and a variety of trees and vegetable plants. Gram settled with some sweet peas, lavender, and clovers for now. Sweet peas because she said I am her sweet pea (Such an old person thing to say), lavender because she likes the smell and to put in her tea, and clovers just for a touch of luck, everyone needs a little bit of luck sometimes she says. We checkout at the register and drive home. 

"How has school been going?" Gram asks while driving. 

"It's fine. Classes are like the ones I had before, boring." I state gazing out the window.

"That's because they are too easy for you. I always tell your parents that you're too smart to be in this family. You are the brightest one of us all." 

"Thanks Gram" I smile. 

"Speaking of which, have you heard from Mom or Dad?" 

"I tried to call, but it only went to voicemail." I frown. Gram stays silent. I don't know how Gram really feels about the situation. I know she loves me, but I can't imagine she was happy I was coming to live with her full time. 

"I am sure they just caught up with something. Let's try again later." she suggests. 

We pull into the driveway and unload the plants beside the garden bed. Gram and I put down some knee pads and start clearing out the garden together.

"Tell me about the friends you've made." 

"I met a few girls, I'm working with some guy on a school project, but that's about it." I inform her.

"Are those the people you stayed out late with on Friday night?" she questions.

"Sort of. There was a lot of people from school there, but I was with them." I announce, trying not to get too detailed. 

"You should invite them over for brunch, is that what the 'cool' meal now?" I laugh at my Gram trying to be 'cool' and with any trends. 

"I'm sure they would like any meal, even if it's not brunch Gram!" 

"You said you have a project?"

"Yeah, it's dumb. We have to research and plan a traditional family with a baby. After the research part, everyone get's assigned a robot baby basically for a weekend. We are a little behind on the research though." I complain.

"I think that's wonderful and practical. Too many young people aren't understanding the responsibility of a child before it is too late. It wakes up the younger generations!" Gram said going on a tangent. Some schools take care of bags of flower with duck tape. I don't see why my school needs to go above and beyond. They are too much. 

"You should invite your partner over after school this week to catch up and finish the research. I'll even make snacks." Gram suggested. I almost choke.

"Are you sure? I don't really know my partner that well. He could be crazy." 

"Honey, no one is crazier that me." Gram says as she stands up and walks back into the house.

Well I guess that settles that.