Chapter 3- Start of Something New

Blakely's POV: 

It's the next day. I woke up this morning and left without a word to Gram. She was still sleeping and I did not want to wake her up. 

I change a few books in my locker and put  a magnetic mirror in it for a personal touch. You never know when you're going to need to check yourself. I look down the row of lockers and see the one guy again. It's the same guy I've seen around; the guy I saw stealing the gear. He is alone; I could totally confront him, but snitches get stitches so again, I am going to mind my business. 

I pass by him as I walk down the looking at hime once making eye contact. He looked back at me and I kept walking. Maybe he will get a hint that I know something from that, but I can't be late for class again.

Braxton's POV:

As I am putting books into my locker, I notice Blakely at her locker this morning. I don't mind my locker being close to hers. She is beautiful and I don't mind the view. She shuts her locker and walks past me making eye contact with me for just a moment. Even her brown eyes are gorgeous. I shut my locker and follow soon after. From what I remember yesterday we have English 117, study hall, and gym class together. 

I walk into English 117 and see her doing something on her phone. I take my seat as class begins. I noticed that during class Blakely doesn't raise her hand. She watches, listens, and takes notes, but she does not raise her hand. 

The next few classes I have goes by what seems like slowly. I walk into my study hall and pick a random seat. It's the beginning of the year so there really isn't any homework to do yet. Soon, the classroom if filled with the rest of my peers. I put in my headphones, put my feet up on the chair beside me, and close my eyes. I am interrupted by a tap on my shoulder. When I open my eyes, it's her.

"Umm I need this seat." she says awkwardly. I instantly remove my feet and sit upright in my chair. Blakely sits down giving me a side eye. I would weirded out too if I had to ask a stranger to move his feet. I wish I wasn't a stranger to her. I like to know who everybody is to one degree or another. She seems interesting and I know nothing about her. However, I can't force my way into someone's life. Plus, I have to keep my eye on the prize. I do not need any distractions dragging me away from my main focus: hockey.

At lunch, I sit with the guys. 

"Guys, I think we should start going out to lunch." Davis says as he tries to pour out his milk, but it is just a solid chunk of ice. We laugh and continue eating. Across the room, I see Blakely sitting with Aubrey LaCarter. Aubrey grew up in this town too. She probably knows it just as much as I do. 

Blakely's POV:

I walk into the lunch room searching for a place to sit. I see Aubrey waving a hand in the air, ushering me over. I take a seat and begin eating my lunch.

"How has your first few days been?" Aubrey asked curiously.

"Not too bad." I say taking another bite of my sandwich.

"That's all I get? Give me some details!"

"I don't know what to say. I have gone to my classes, I told a boy to move his feet, and here I am." I say gesturing to the cafeteria. 

"You told someone to move their feet? Who?" She asked disgusted.

"I haven't really officially met him. I don't know his name." I said shaking my head.

"Maybe you should keep it that way." we laughed. 

Braxton's POV:

Lunch ended and I walked into my last class of the day along with everyone else: Gym. The first quarter of the year, we are doing family sciences so I do not need to change for anything. 

"Alright class, to help prepare you all for your possible lives after graduation, we are going to be doing a partner project. You and your partner will need to plan cost for a family, structures of a family, and in a few weeks, you are your partner will take care of a baby simulator." Mr. Campbell announced.  The entire class groaned. 

"I have already picked your partners. When you hear your partners names, you can move to sit near them and that is where you will sit from now on." Mr. Campbell started listing group names and then I heard mine.

"Braxton and Blakely"

I look over to Blakely and she is looking around the room, but does not move from her seat. I walk over to the desk beside her.

"It looks like we are going to be partners." I say sitting in the chair next to her as she looks my way.

"I'm Braxton by the way." I say holding out my hand. She looked at it before saying,

"I'm Blakely," shaking my hand.

The teacher explained a few more details about the project and then the bell rang. I tried to keep up with Blakely as she raced out of the room. I started walking beside her.

"Are you following me?" she stopped abruptly.

"No...no, I have to go this way to get to my car." 

"Oh." she looked away.

"Looks like we are going to be parents for this project." I say jokingly.

"More like a single parent." she says serious.

"What do you mean? Are you saying you're not going to do the project?" I pester. 

"No, I am. Though, I do not know how a father can parent from jail." I stop walking, cutting her off so she can no longer walk too.

"Am I missing something?" I ask confused.

"I saw you with that big duffle bag leaving the school yesterday with stuff from the gym. I think stealing could land you in jail buddy." I laugh a little.

"You thought I was stealing?" She nods her head. 

"Why don't I show you what was in that duffle bag." I lead her outside to my car. I open the trunk and unzip the bag. She looks inside and sees the hockey equipment. 

"You see this?" I show her the list of people who made the school hockey team. My name was at the very top.

"Braxton Ratner. Left Wing." I pointed out. 

"Wow...I am an idiot; I'm sorry. I think I will leave you alone and pretend this never happened." She started to walk away.

"Wait, where you off to?" I say leaning over my car door. 

"Home. Where else?" She yelled back.

"Want to come watch me practice?" I invited. She looked surprised from my questions.

"I barely know you."

"Well you know I am not a thief, that's something." I smile. She looked around contemplating her decision. 

"If I die, I am going to come back and haunt the living hell out of you." I laughed at her response as she got into my passenger seat. 

"I can live with that." I say as we drive off.

________

Authors Note: 

I hope you liked this chapter. I HAD to put start of something new as the song inspo because this truly is the start of something new for Braxton and Blakely. 

Thank you for reading!