chapter seven: blush

The first feeling upon gaining consciousness was ouch. Even opening your eyes made your muscles throb. The slow realisation that you were in the base's med-bay, lying in a bed, came to you in waves. First, you let out an internal groan. Then, you let out an actual groan, as you tried to hoist yourself up to a sitting position.

Your body objected, rushing your limbs with an aching sort of pain that felt like you'd been training for 48 straight hours, but nevertheless you managed to sit up. The bay was quiet and collected, like a library, and only a few beds were actually occupied.

You felt her before you even saw her—Leia strolled round the corner then, eyes fixing upon you instantly. She gave you immediate comfort, despite your internal bruising and the anxiety that had started to bubble within your gut when you thought about what you'd just done.

The cat was out of the hypothetical bag. Your Force abilities weren't just known now; you'd given the base an entire fucking demonstration. Brilliant.

"That was quite a show," Leia said as she approached your bedside. You gave her a tired and half-hearted smile. "Thank you," she added, and the seriousness in her voice was apparent. You nodded at her in response, not yet knowing what you could even say.

There was a silence that radiated from her—an intelligent and knowing quiet that told you all you needed to know; if you hadn't of done what you did, many would have died. The base would have been all but destroyed.

"Are you okay?" she asked then, trickling her kind words over you softly.

"I feel like I've been punched all over my body, repeatedly," you let out. A small scoff burst from her lips.

"I understand. The Force takes a lot out of you,"

"You could say that again," you replied, testing out the movement of your arms. You stretched them out slowly, and your elbows clicked noisily. "Is everyone okay?"

"Some are more shaken up than others, but everyone's just fine. Thanks to you," Leia said, raising her brows at you in understanding. "Dameron's waiting outside," she added, causing you to whip your gaze to her suddenly. You let out a groan in pain as you brought a hand to rest on your stiff neck.

"Dameron?" you winced. Leia only nodded.

"I've never seen him be so proactive. He carried you here after you collapsed,"

You looked to your lap, overcome by a feeling half-way between wanting to vomit, and wanting to smile. Sure, you'd just revealed your gift and saved the damn Resistance, but you'd fainted afterwards—embarrassment wasn't something that you dealt with well, as much as you shouldn't have cared.

"Great," you whispered to yourself. Leia let out another comforting chuckle, before placing a reassuring and gentle hand on your shoulder. You looked at her then, not even trying to cover up the absolute fear and anxiety on your face. Leia could feel your Force; she would have known your true feelings even if you had the strength to try and hide it from your expression.

"Shall I tell him to come back later?" she asked, but you were already shaking your head.

"No, no. He can see me," the confidence in your tone was more prominent than you'd expected it to be, but maybe it was because it was him. It wasn't Heidi or Lynx, who, as much as you liked them, were still closed books. Poe, though—

You already shared a room. What was one more?

Leia left after giving you a small nod. You took the few seconds it took her to leave the med-bay to mentally prepare yourself. You needed a nap, or ten naps, and you needed to keep it together. You'd never used your Force this way, nor had you been expecting to. The entire situation was a lot to take in.