chapter sixteen: baby

"Do you remember when she slipped in the shower and showed up at training with that huge bump on her forehead?" Poe chuckled out, taking a large gulp of beer as he and Lynx choked out laughter.

"And she told us she got in a fight. Should have seen the other guy, she said. She got a fucking concussion, all because she forgot her slippers in the bathroom," Lynx hit back with, and the two men burst into joyous and saddened laughter. They chugged their beers and ignored their red faces from drunkness, indulging in the fun anecdotes about their late friend.

You strolled into the mess hall calmly and contently, a small smile on your face. Black squad was taking up the three centre tables, all chattering away; laughing, crying, reminiscing. Poe and Lynx linked arms then, twisting back round until they both downed their beer cans together, the way couples ate cake at a wedding.

You snuck up behind Poe, draping your arms over his shoulders and giving him a peck on the cheek, before you slotted in next to him.

"Ah, there she is," he said, slurring his words ever so slightly. "Drink?" you nodded silently, not yet ready to speak. Poe slid you over a can. You popped the top and took three large gulps, until it was half empty.

"She was always so stingy with food, same as you, Lynx," you chimed in, chuckling to yourself as you remembered the piercing stares she'd given you after sneaking food off her plate.

"If looks could kill, Heidi would be a serial killer when it came to food," Lynx agreed.

"No, no," Poe interjected. "A cereal killer," he said, miming a bowl and a spoon. When Lynx and you stared at him with unimpressed frowns, he kissed his teeth. "She would have laughed," he said.

"No, she fucking wouldn't. She would have made fun of you until you admitted it was a terrible joke," Lynx choked out, before bursting into laughter with you. You slid your hand across the table to him, which he took without a second glance. He gripped your fingers gently, squeezing them together in recognition.

"She'd probably be making a joke right now about how all the sex you've had has ruined your intelligence," you said. Poe sent you a glare, but there was amusement behind his eyes.

"Oh, fuck you," he hit back with. You widened your eyes playfully.

"Not me! Her!" you spluttered out. Poe stood immediately, standing upon his seat on the bench. He raised his fist to the sky, shaking it like a geriatric would at kids playing on their lawn.

"Fuck you, Heidi Jones!" he yelled to the sky. The mess hall mutterings calmed down then, as Poe kept his gaze on the roof, but lowered his arm. "Fuck you for leaving us down here to live without your exceptional self," his voice cracked, but his stoic tone still traversed the warehouse. You gently wrapped your fingers around his ankle for support.

Poe looked down then, smiling at every member of his squad with glassy eyes.

"We will never forget them, Heidi and Tuk. They're looking down at us right now saying Ha! You're stuck with us, Black squadron!" nods and murmurs of agreement surrounded their Commander. "We'll live on knowing the sacrifices they made for us and this war. We'll carry their names with us whenever we fly," applause. A few cheers.

You stood, raising your can to the sky. "To Heidi and Tuk,"

The room erupted.

To Heidi and Tuk!

It was the best send-off that anyone could have given. It was sad, it was joyous, it was celebratory. And as you sat there, Poe and Lynx's hands in each of yours, you knew that Heidi was looking at the three of you.