chapter eleven: spit it out

You thanked the saints that you didn't have training the next morning. By the amount your head was throbbing, you could accurately say that you were hungover as hell. If you thought you were bad, you didn't even want to think about how Poe would be.

When you woke up, you found yourself staring at the ceiling. You tilted your head to the left, looking at your bunk above you, and then to the right—where Dameron was sound asleep on the floor next to you. He was curled towards you, one of his hands resting on your belly accidently.

You'd watched Dameron sleep a lot; not intentionally, it'd just happened whenever you woke up before him; and he looked the same as he always did in the light of the morning. Hair tussled, jaw slack, eyes closed and showcasing his annoyingly long eyelashes. His stubble had basically grown back overnight; you had to kick away the urge to swipe your knuckle across his chin to feel the spikiness of it.

After your dance together the night before, you'd stayed up talking. The sun was coming up by the time both of you had picked a place on the floor and closed your eyes. You hadn't expected it to be that easy—to talk with someone for hours on end about random, bullshit things. To joke and laugh and enjoy someone's company as much as you enjoyed that of Poe's.

And everything else—Poe. You'd asked to call him by his first name. Maker, why had you done that? Why? You inwardly cringed at yourself as you traversed your gaze over the pilot's face. He must have thought you to be crazy, or overdramatic, or anything but strong.

Please do, he'd said. Was that what he truly meant? Or did he just not know what to say?

He stirred then, pulling you out of your thoughts. Your body buzzed when you realised you'd been gawking. You looked away before he opened his eyes to see you staring.

"Mfhm... Morning," he said. You looked at him then, as his eyes adjusted to the daylight.

"Morning," you replied. Poe winced as he raised himself onto his elbow, bringing a hand to his forehead.

"Fuck— I feel like shit," he complained. You allowed yourself a small scoff, but even doing that made your head pound in response. "Did we... sleep on the floor?" he asked, and all of a sudden your heart dropped.

Did he remember last night at all?

"Don't you remember last night?" you asked him, sliding up to a sitting position. You peered down at him with knitted brows, hoping to saints that he'd say he remembered.

Poe looked up at you with a similar expression, but his eyes looked huge like this. Like a puppy dog, or a kitten, something you could hold in your palm as it shook from fear. He looked at you like he didn't want to let you down.

"I remember everything, Ten. Promise," he reassured you, sending you a soft smile after. You sent one back, as your heart rate slowly began to dip into normal territory once more.

"Coffee?" you questioned. Poe was nodding already.

"Coffee," he agreed.

While pretty boy stayed in the dorm, you headed to the mess hall. The walk was welcomed, but your entire body was aching to oblivion. The mood on base was particularly low today; no doubt because of the many hangovers that others were also suffering.

You got two coffees to go, strolling back through the mess hall and trying not to draw so much attention to yourself after the game of truth or dare the night prior. Of course, that all fell through—

As soon as Heidi saw you.

"Black-Ten!" she yelled, jumping up onto a table with no remorse. You stopped abruptly, almost dropping your coffees on the floor. All eyes landed on you or her, flicking between your two opposing forces. You were scowling; she was beaming.