Midday Meetings (Pt1)

Y/n l/n.

The girl who didn't smile.

People wondered how she managed it, living in such a happy place.

A nice girl, would help however she could, but never with a smile.

She of course had her reasons, but she never shared them.

She didn't share much of anything, for she didn't have friends, and only lived with her older sister, who worked so hard she wasn't around much.

So when y/n was of age, she tried to get a few odd jobs to help her sister out.

Helping out in the market here and there, running errands and the like.

It was on a particularly hot day when she was rushing from stall to stall, trading items between different merchants that she allowed herself to take a short break and rest on a bench with a snack.

She was watching the different people go about their day, noticing several members of the Madrigal family doing what they always did, helping the town.

It had been a year since La Casa Madrigal had fallen and been rebuilt, and the townspeople were a little less nagging, but they would still rather have the family do something for them with their gifts than the normal way.

Isabela, walking around and growing what she pleased to liven up the streets, and Luisa gathering up some escaped donkeys by a barn were the only ones you saw at the moment, but you knew the others had to be close by.

You could tell by people who walked past with an injury that Julieta was handing out food somewhere to your left, and from the distant crack of thunder, something had made Pepa upset.

As for others, you had no idea, but for the moment, you were too focused on peeling the fruit you had to pay much attention, so you were startled when an elderly lady approached, asking if she could sit on the other side of the bench.

You nodded that you didn't mind, since there were no other free benches around, and she seemed very tired.

While you tried not to pay attention, she was breathing rather heavily, and swiping at her brow often.

You seem as exhausted as a Madrigal. You think, watching as Mirabel was babysitting some kids across the street, and wonder what this old lady could have been doing to become so tired.

You contemplate offering her something to drink, but before you can, a villager calls for more assistance.

"Luisa! Could you move my wagon?" Someone called, said wagon with a wheel stuck in a crack on the road.

"Give her a break." The lady on the bench with you mutters, echoing your own thoughts.

"Honestly. Those poor Madrigals are still worked to death." You say under your breath in agreement, but the lady hears you.

"Guess that's the price of having a Gift." She sighs, wiping her brow once more.

"You seem as tired as one of them. Would you like some water?" You ask, gesturing with the spare container you had.

"Are you sure?" She asks, looking at you in surprise.

"It's no problem. I haven't drank any from it." You say, handing over the water.

"¡Gracias!" She smiles widely, taking the bottle. (Thank you!)

You nod in return, and notice her straight, gray hair gathering some darker, curlier bits at the tips as she focuses on the drink, but decide it was just the light when it goes back to normal when she tilts her head back farther to get the last of the water.