CHAPTER 3

The roosters crowed loudly the next morning at the Chateau. John B quietly walked past his sister's room to sit outside in the hammock, thinking to himself. Look, for nine months, everybody's tried to get us to believe that our dad's dead. They say we're in denial. Whatever. Denial's underrated. You should try it sometime. It's highly effective, and it's only denial if you're wrong. It doesn't make any sense. Our dad was the last guy who would ever get lost at sea. This Compass coming back to us, our father's compass, which was passed down for generations, it's a sign. Our dad's still alive, and I'm gonna find him.

...

Joslyn woke up to the sound of banging. She quickly sat up in her bed and grabbed the closest article of clothing to her, which happened to be one of JJ's shirts, and without putting pants on, walked out of her room.

"DCS! I know you're in there!" She heard someone yell from the front door. She quickly ran to John B's room to wake him up but he wasn't there. She heard another loud bang and ran into the living room. "What the fuck-"

"Gottcha slick!" JJ laughed from outside, on the other side of the window. John B groaned as he rubbed at his eyes. Joslyn shook her head in aggravation, "Seriously, JJ? What the fuck is wrong with you?"

JJ opened the door and walked into the living room, quickly glancing at John B before he looked Joslyn up and down, "Cute pajamas, you look hot." Joslyn looked down at the shirt which she quickly realized was JJ's and looked back up at him with a smile, "Thanks." He walked up to her and undid her hair, pulling the hair elastic out and tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.

"JJ, I get your in love with her, but get your hands off of my sister," John B warned as he watched the interaction between his best friend and his twin sister. He knew they both liked each other, it was obvious to everyone who was around whenever the two were together.

JJ threw his hands up in surrender, "Sorry, I forgot. No fondling." He smiled. Joslyn looked at him in surprise, "I swear you guys, are both ridiculous." John B stood up from the couch. "JJ and I were gonna go talk to Lana Grubbs, do you wanna come?"

Joslyn looked down at her phone to check the time, realizing Sarah had texted her earlier, asking her to come over as soon as she woke up. She looked up from her phone and thought for a second before answering, "Uh, I'm good. I'm gonna stay here, read, maybe go for a walk later." She lied.

The boys looked at her questionably before nodding, "Okay, well don't answer the door, if anyone knocks. If it's Pope or Kie they'll just walk in." John B reminded her.

"Yeah, I know the drill, John B. I'm not five," She shook her head in amusement before placing a kiss on each of the boys' cheeks and quickly walking into her room to get ready.

...

Joslyn arrived at the location Sarah had sent her to meet up at. It was close to Sarah's house so Joslyn assumed it was a part of the neighborhood. Once she lent her skateboard up against the fence she started to walk towards the backyard where she heard people yelling.

Joslyn spotted Sarah and walked up to her, "Hey." Sarah turned around quickly and suffocated Joslyn in a hug. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry about the other night, I feel awful and so does Topper, he said he tried to text you but you didn't answer, and Rafe found out what Topper did and went ballistic. He's been worrying ever since-"

Joslyn grabbed Sarah by the shoulders, "Calm down. I'm fine, it's not your fault and Topper was drunk he probably didn't even realize he hurt me until after, I'm still upset with him about John B though."

Sarah nodded, "Yeah that's totally understandable. I am really sorry though, I tried to stop him." Joslyn smiled, "I know, Sarah, it's okay." Sarah wrapped her arms around Joslyn again, hugging her tightly, "I love you, B." Joslyn laughed lightly, "I love you too."