5.

"It's best not to think too much into it, ya know?" Clara mumbled

"It's best not to think too much into it, ya know?" Clara mumbled. She moved her character piece across the board as she pondered over her own thoughts. It became visible too me when she seemed to zone out into outer space, only blinking occasionally. She shook her head.

"Your thinking about it too."

She snapped her head up to make eye contact with me. She looked like a deer in headlights, her eyes wide as she tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. Her shoulders slumped down in defeat.

"I can't help it, but it's not healthy to think about what could be happening to Rory." She changed the topic of conversation quickly as she waited for me to move my character. "So how old are you?"

"18." I mumbled.

She nodded her head, her head of gorgeous short waves following with her movements. I examined her for a second. Freckles littered her nose bridge and scattered out onto her cheeks which were slightly puffy. A small tint of a peachy pink color spread onto her cheeks when she made eye contact with me.

"Don't look at me so much..." she trailed off, sitting on her knees.

We played the game for a few minutes as ali read her book and silently observed the girls. It seemed Ali, in my short time here, was much like an older sister to the girls. Everyone trusted ali with their lives. She seemed to take the role well too, always cooking, looking after everyone and knowing Harry's moods the best. If I was going to get out, I needed her.

The metal door being opened pulled me out of my inner thoughts, Clara stood up, almost tipping over the board. Everyone's attention turned to the basement door, the shed of light being let in to the otherwise dark basement. Ali shot up from the couch, placing her book on the table. It flipped back to its original pages in seconds and closed. She gestured for me to stand.

"Harry's coming." She whispered, smoothing out her shirt. Just as I was standing to my feet Harry arrived from the bottom of the steps. Directly in front of him was Rory. She had a harsh red mark across her cheek. If it weren't for my udder fear of the man I would have walked up to him to give him a piece of how I felt.

Rory wiped tears off her face and walked straight to her room, shutting the door behind her. Everyone was silent.

"Ali, Thankyou for breakfast." Harry said.

Ali nodded to him, smiling only faintly. Then, just as quick as he arrived, he was gone. His footsteps stopped at the top of the staircase before the metal door was shut and locked. The sound made my heart fall. The door was supposed to be opened all day. I still needed to find a window or door and I couldn't do that if I was locked down in his basement.

"He's going to work." Clara mumbled, gently putting her hand on my shoulder. I stared up at the long, dark staircase. The door was shut, locking me in this hell hole with other kidnapped girls. The utter disappointment I felt was indescribable. My hopes had been crushed the second the sound of the lock clicked. I frowned.

"I think I'm gonna take a nap." I said, excusing myself from the room.

I got in bed and shut my eyes tight, drowning out the noises of the girls whispering to each other in the living room. Footsteps walked past the room sometimes. The door was never opened, and I began to think that was the normal since Rory's door was never opened either. The rest of the girls didn't bother you if you were upset, I had come to realize.

I let out a shaky breath as I thought about what could have happened to Rory. Harry had her alone for a while after breakfast. But he seemed fine before and after.

It made me nervous thinking about what could have happened, that it could always happen to me. And what was that red mark on her cheek? Did he slap her?

I rubbed my eyes, turning over on my back. The bed squeaked which irritated me further. I couldn't sleep, my mind was running in circles, the bed was too noisy, and I had to face it alone. I had no family before coming here but the feeling of loneliness intensified as I laid there. At least I could have the option to reach out to talk to someone then. Now all I had was the girls and the walls. And we were all in the same boat.

At least Harry had stayed away from me. I had that.

Time seemed to slip into a dark abyss as I laid there. I was alone with my thoughts.

But my door creaked open, revealing a sobbing Rory. The girl was rubbing her arms closely. I stared at her as she walked over to my bed and took a seat at the end. She was hesitant to even sit.

"Are you ok?" I asked, sitting up.

The bed creaked again and I watched her jump at the sound. She was on edge, and I blame it fully on whatever Harry had done.

She sniffled.

"What did he do?" I asked, feeling rage bubble through my chest. She shook slightly from the cold. I grabbed a blanket and covered her shoulders with it, tucking in the edges. She pursed her lips, but smiled as I covered her with the warm fabric.

"H-he does it to all of us. He chooses whoever hes in the mood for." She said. 'In the mood for'. Chills ran down my spine as my brain processed what she meant. It was then that I noticed the large hand prints on her hip bone. It was exposed from her pajama shorts falling down from being too big.

My eye brows furrowed, my heart sinking into my chest as I know knew what she had gone through.

"Im sorry for coming in here. I just didn't want to be alone." She laughed, wiping tears off her cheeks. Letting out a breath, She tried to compose herself for me, probably embarrassed.

"It's ok I don't mind. I was just laying here anyway."

She nodded, then lazily slumped down into my lap. I rested my back against the headboard and cuddled into my pillow, wanting to take back whatever pain Harry had caused her. It was obvious she was numb to his perverted actions by now from the way she so easily stopped talking about it.

Or maybe, it was the complete opposite. She was too hurt to talk.

A part of me wondered if I was going to suffer the same fate. Had all the girls gone through it? Was I going to be next?

I breathed out slowly to release my tension. Cautiously, I played with Rory's hair that was surprisingly soft and watched her breaths leave her mouth. I held back my tears as I skimmed over her bruises which were much more obvious when she was hardly wearing any clothes. Clad in a tank top and shorts, she shivered.

But I sucked in my fear and shut my eyes, caressing Rory's back in any sustainable effort to comfort her.