He Won't Say He's In Love

Chapter 3
The alarm I set went off. I rolled out of bed and changed.

I ran into Four in the hallway. He smiled at my zombie appearance. "So should I get them up? Or do you think you can do it without killing anyone?"

I shoved him. "It's too early for any of your sass. And I have been waking up rookies in this state since before you were a rookie. I've got this." I said walking towards the dorms.

"Don't forget to kick down the door!" He called after me.

I smirked remembering my move to intimidate Eric by startling everyone awake. It didn't work but it was fun.

I got to the door and thought about it for two seconds. And then kicked it in. "Rise and shine Rookies! You have half an hour to change and grab some breakfast. And believe me you will want it. Do it for your dignity. I keep a list of initiates who pass out because they didn't eat. It's great fun to look through after every final test." With my speech over I walked back out the now broken door and headed to the cafeteria.

I finished my third muffin in the training room waiting with Four for the rookies to show. Eric wasn't there yet either, but he would show up. At the moment that was most inconvenient for us. "I'm thinking guns first. Just to get it out of the way. And then focus on hand to hand."

He nodded. "Whatever you say boss."

I raised an eyebrow. "Don't let his highness hear you say that."

Our snark fest was interrupted by the rookies filing in. I focused on the job and my brother slid back into his strong and silent shell.

Four started handing out guns as he explained the agenda. "The first thing you'll learn today is how to shoot a gun. The second thing is how to win a fight. Thankfully you all know how to get on a move train so that's one less thing we have to teach you. Initiation has three stages. We'll measure your progress through each stage. They aren't weighed equally so it's possible, but difficult, to dramatically improve your standing over time."

Guns handed out he turned to me. No surprise. Guns were my thing. Part of the nickname.

I stepped to center stage. "We believe that preparation eradicates cowardice, which we define as the failure to act in the midst of fear. Therefore each stage of initiation is intended to prepare you in a different way. The first is physical, the second emotional, and the third mental."

I was interrupted by a yawning Peter. "But what.... What does firing a gun have to do with... bravery."

I was spared having waste my energy. Four flipped the gun he was holding and pressed it to Peter's forehead, and slid a bullet into place. Peter froze mid yawn. Guess he's not all stupid.

"Wake. Up." Four snapped. "You're holding a loaded gun, you idiot. Act like it." Then he lowered the gun.

Back in the day even Eric would have backed down for the day after a stunt like that. Peter's eyes just hardened. I'll have to watch this one.

I reclaimed the attention. "To answer your question: you're far less likely to soil your pants and run crying to your mother if you're prepared to defend yourself." I went over to the target wall. "Watch me."

I raised my gun and lined the target up in my sights, me feet set apart to give me balance. I breathed in and after the exhale I fired. Bullseye. As usual.

I flipped the safety on and slid the gun into the holster on my left hip. You probably think that's odd. I'm left handed. I then proceeded to walk up and down the line of initiates making mental notes and giving pointers as needed.