Trying To Sort Out The Madness

Chapter 12

I spent the rest of the night in a meeting with Max, Four, and Eric. I tried to convince Max to let Edward stay. Eric said it would only be supporting the week. I lost my temper and took a swing at Eric. Max didn't like my behavior but he took my side. Edward had no way of knowing the attack was coming. I didn't even bother to bring up my suspicions about who did it. They definitely would not have listened to that.

I went to the dorm. The rookies had just woken up and were getting ready to go to breakfast. "You all have the day off."

They all looked up in surprise. Peter was the only one to voice a question. "Why?"

"We are not a heartless group. We figured you would need a day to process what happened last night and get over the shock that one of your own was so wrongly and viscously attacked by a still unknown assailant."

"That doesn't sound very Dauntless to me."

I got maybe two hours of sleep last night and even though I can't prove it I know he was the reason why. I was most definitely not in the mood to be civil, soI got right in his face. "That is why you are the initiate and I'm the trainer. I know more about being Dauntless than you." Then I lowered my voice so only he could hear me. "And stabbing someone in the eye just because because he ranked higher than you doesn't sound very Dauntless either. It sounds insecure and weak."

After spending time wandering the halls I went to the Pit to find some solace in sugary baked goods. I spotted Tris and Will eating cake. I plopped down in the seat next to Tris. "Have you guys visited Edward yet?"

Will looked up. "Didn't see much of a point. We weren't that close to him. It would have been awkward."

I nodded grabbed a cookie of the pile that sat on my plate.

"How is he?" Tris asked.

"He'll live, but the eye is a goner. I have to give him credit he was way more calm about it than I would be. Has a hell of a death grip though. Thanks for talking to him until we got there. It just might have saved his life."

"How?" Will asked.

"He wanted to pull the knife out of his eye. If he was sitting there alone waiting he might have done it, and then he might have bled out before a doctor could get to him."

"Why would anyone do something like that?" They way Will asked told me he knew the answer, he was just looking to see if I could pick up on it.

"The person would have to be very narcissistic, sociopathic, and suicidal. And he will be found and dealt with. Even if I have to go rogue."

I thought about my statement for a second. I sounded like I was crossing over into the dark side. Suddenly not hungry I nudged the cookies to the middle of the table. "Enjoy guys. I need to go."

I skipped lunch and heading to the infirmary to check on Edward. When I got there Myra was with him and they both looked pretty grim. I turned the empty chair next to Maya backwards and sat down. "Why the dark looks? He's going to live."

"We're leaving." Edward answered simply.

"What? Why? We aren't just going to throw you out because you're hurt."

"Myra's going to be cut anyway and I just don't want to be here anymore."

I rested my head on the back of the chair. Some how it felt like my fault that these two wanted to leave. "At least stay until the doctor gives an all clear for action. Myra can stay with you. Take whatever meds the Doc gives you before you leave."

Edward gave a small smile. "OK Mom."

I smiled back. "Atta boy." I stood up to go and turned around when I reached the door way. "Guys I'm sorry."

I rushed though dinner so I could sit outside the entrance waiting for Peter to come out. I was pleasantly surprised by him strolling out the door alone. I calmly approached him. "If it isn't our new number one? Care to walk and talk?"

He had some self-preservation. "I think I'm good."

"It wasn't really a suggestion."

He followed me. We wove through halls until we hit one that was completely empty and a dead end. I turned and walked around him blocking the exit. "I know you did it."

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"The thing is I can't prove anything so in theory you're going to get away with it. But I warned you that preying on others was something I did not approve of. And very soon you'll be paying the price."

He smirked. "Empty threat. You can't touch me. Anything you do that goes against Eric will get you in trouble."

"When it comes to stuff like this I don't throw punches. I play mind games. And you know the best part? This next round Eric has little interest in. It's all me. And just like Eric I can play favorites too."

Peter didn't look convinced.

"Fine don't believe me. But I promise you this time next week you won't be sleeping at night." I turned and walked down the hall.