Did Not See That Coming

Chapter 9

The next day Four ad I found no trace of Eric in the training room. Brilliant. Maybe he'll stay gone.  I snagged as piece of chalk and started setting up the char for the final fight pairings. "So what pairings do you want to see today?" I asked

"What do you really want to ask me?"

"Who do you want Tris against? And I will override  your decision is I think that you're making it to protect her instead of challenging her abilities."

Before he could reply the rookies started filing in.  I started pairing up the ones I didn't want him to have the option to put her against. Bitch move, I know, but I wanted to make sure that his little crush wasn't discovered and Eric had nothing to complain about if he did decide to curse us with his presence.

I handed Four the chalk with the option of Molly or Edward to go against Tris. He took it and wrote in Molly's name in to go against Tris.

Once he stepped back I started talking. "Alright rookies! Final fight day. Don't pull your punches, but try not to kill your opponent.  In case you guys haven't bothered to read the board yet: Will, Myra, you're up first."

Will and Myra were boring to watch.  At some point during they're shuffling around each other Eric came in. He stopped to read the board before coming over to stand next to me. "The match ups aren't bad."

"Did you actually give me a compliment?"

"I was expecting you to favor some by giving them easier opponents."

"Did I do that when I was training you?"

He ignored my question in favor of yelling at Will and Myra to hurry up and start actually fighting.

Once those two had mercifully finished Christina and Al stepped into the ring. As I predicted when I paired them up it was short and quick. Christina did a few quick hits to the face and Al went down and stayed down, as he's done since the first fight when he beat the crap out of his opponent.

Edward and Peter were by far the most interesting to watch. The two best fighters in the class, so it to longer for them to wear each other out. What made it even more amusing to me was the fact that Edward fought fair, and Peter fought dirty. 

Molly and Tris step into the ring.  Molly smirked. "Was that a birthmark I saw on your left butt cheek? God, you're pale Stiff."

I have no clue what went down this morning, but whatever it was the look on Tris's face told the resulting anger would be her driving force in this fight. 

Molly throws a punch and Tris duck to avoid it with a followup punch to the stomach. A second later she slips past Molly and has her hands up ready for the next move. They exchanged kicks and hits for a while. Molly was just focused on getting hits in.  Tris was watching her form, trying to find an opening. I leaned forward waiting for her to notice that they both keep their hands too high.

I knew Tris figured it out when she looked Molly in the eyes. She punches her in the stomach and kicks her feet out from under her. And then she did something I never expected form her. She kicked Molly while she was down. And kept kicking.

Four and I sprang forward. He got there first. "You won," he told her. "Stop."

She did and just looked at him. 

"I think you should leave. Talk a walk." I heard him say as I crouched to check on Molly.

"I'm fine. I'm fine now." She said.

I tuned them out. "If I help you up, can you walk by yourself?" I asked Molly.

She coughed up some more blood and glared at me, but nodded.

I dragged her up to her feet and nudged her in the direction of the door.

"What happened to her?" Lily asked as I escorted Molly into the infirmary. 

"Not what, who. And Tris."

"Tris did this?" Lily said, clearly remembering the aftermath of her fight with Peter.

"Girl's tougher than she looks. Though this took us all by surprise. She'll be good to go as soon as you're done patching her up, yeah?"

Lily turned to Molly. "Did you get hit in the head?"

"Just kicked in the face."

Lily turned back to me. "She'll be good to go."

"Great. I need to go make sure someone hasn't spontaneously become a sociopath. Cheers."

I poked my head into the transfer dormitory. Tris,Will, Al, and Christina were the only ones in there. I strolled in and sat down next to them. "Hey guys."

Christina the ever nosy asked, "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to talk to Tris." I focused my attention only on Tris. "We can talk alone, but I have no problem saying what I have to say in front of these guys."

She crossed her arms. "Then say it."

"You skirted into the dark side today. You went way over the line and weren't going to stop until she was unconscious. And I have a feeling you have no guilt about the situation at all."

"I don't."

"I don't know what brought this on, and I honestly don't care either. I just want to be sure that it won't happen again."

"It won't."

"Good." I stood up. "And not bad today, all of you. Though Will it would have been better if you had spent less time dancing around with Myra. And Al, I know you don't like hurting people, but the trend of not fighting back is really going to hurt your scores."

"Little late for pointers, isn't it? Will asked.

"Just food for thought. You'll need it eventually."

That night I couldn't get to sleep. My mind kept bouncing between Eric threatening to reveal my past and the fact that the most promising rookie was not smart enough to fully hide what she is and will probably end up at the bottom of the Chasm if she isn't careful. And my brother and I might end up down there with her when it all blows up because people would be wondering why we didn't report her.

And tomorrow would be Visiting Day. Lovely.