War Games

Chapter 7

I met Eric and Four in the hall outside the transfer dorm. they're waiting with a group of other Dauntless who never turn down a chance to shoot at each other for fun. When I fell in beside my brother Eric opened the door and we all filed in.

"Everybody up!" Good Lord he could have made it sound a bit more exciting and less like we were all about to die.

Everyone starts moving except Tris. I try to get her moving with eye contact but Eric noticed before my strategy could be effective.

"Did you go deaf Stiff?"

She snaps out of it and gets moving.

"You all have five minutes to get dressed and meet us by the tracks. We're going on a field trip." Eric said before leading us out of the room.

At the tracks I stood next to the piles of gear. "Everyone grab a gun."

Tris was the first the snag one. Mildly impressed I tossed her a couple boxes of paintballs.

The gear finally handed out and everyone good to go Eric asked Four for the ETA of the train.

"Any minute now." Four answered glancing at his watch. "How long is it going to take you to memorize the train schedule?"

"Why should I when I have you to remind me of it?" Eric aid shoving his shoulder.

The train shows up right on time and  once everyone is on board Four explains the game. "We'll be dividing into two teams to play capture the flag. Each will have a mix of members Dauntless-born and transfers. One team will go off first to hide their flag and then the second team will get off and do the same. This is a Dauntless tradition so I suggest you take it seriously."

Peter, the snarky slime that he has just had to speak up. "We're playing a game? How on earth can we take the fact that this is a tradition seriously?"

I whipped out the paintball gun I was carrying on my side and shot him in the leg. He went down and I crouched to look him dead in the eye. "We are the warrior faction. We play war games. If you have a problem then leave. And we take these things pretty close to deathly serious. Pride and bragging rights are a useful commodity around here. And based on the fact you can't even handle a paintball I know you can't handle the real thing. Maybe you aren't cut out to be one of us after all."

The last bit made him stop gripping his leg. "I'm not weak."

"Then prove it." I said dragging him back up onto his feet. When I rejoined my brother and Eric I scanned the crowd. "Any other questions or comments?"

"What do we get if we win?"

Four raised an eyebrow and shot me an amused look. "Sounds like the kind of question someone not from Dauntless would ask. You get to win of course. Pride and bragging rights as Kev mentioned not a minute ago."

"Four and I will be team captains. Kevlar will be on Four's team" Eric said. The sexist prick. "Let's divide up the transfers first, shall we?"

"Quick question," Christina piped up. "Why are they on the same team? Wouldn't a sibling versus sibling fight be a bit more entertaining?"

I actually cracked a genuine grin. "It would, but Eric and I  don't play nice together. It's easier on everyone if we are on different teams."

Four sensing the fact that I was trying to stir up some trouble redirected us back to the task at hand. "Since I get Kevlar you choose first."

"Edward." Eric said with a casual shrug.

Four elbows me. I know what he's thinking. It's nuts but the kind of nuts that I've seen work out. I elbow him back and pretends to give the crowd a quick glance before saying, "I want the Stiff."