Chapter 9: An Award Winning Performance

In the present, the war against The Corporation turned into a war with each other. With each gang trying to grab as much unclaimed territory as possible, it won't be soon before they start stepping on each other's toes. Tensions between the gangs, poverty in the street & people still dying from a virus create the perfect smoke screen for what's to come.

Silow's Hideout
Jamaica, Queens
Christmas Eve 2040
11:50pm

Meli is pacing back and forth across her office with a pair of dark shades on. Taking a shot of Casamigo's each time she reaches the bar on the far left. She's been searching for even a trace of Neshon for a little under 4 years now. She can't help but feel guilty because she was the one who opened the door for him to join this life & now he's missing or worse. She takes two shots back to back, trying to clear her mind but focus at the same time. Suddenly she hears a familiar knock on the door. She grabs her pistol and approaches the door slowly. As she gets closer to the door she hears another knock.

"Who is it?" Meli says.

"wow, being gone for this long I would've thought that I got a nicer reception that this." A voice says behind the door.

Meli instantly recognized the voice & excitedly unlocked the door. When the door opens, there stands Neshon, smiling. Meli jumps into his arms and hugs him tightly. She grabs him by then hand and pulls him inside. She sits him down and pours them both a shot. They take the shot and Meli returns the shot glasses to the bar. She brings ice, two cups and the half finished casamigos bottle.

"wow looks like the party got started without me." Neshon says while laughing.

Meli laughs at first and gets serious. Every ounce of liquor missing wasn't enough to replace the tears she shed over Neshon.

"wasn't no fucking party." Meli says quietly.

"huh?" He says.

"wasn't no fucking party. For the last almost 4 years I've been looking for you. Not knowing whether or not to mourn you or to keep searching. I couldn't even give you a burial site amongst all of this gang bullshit & it's not like I had a body to bury anyway. So yes, I've been drinking a lot." Meli yells.

Neshon realizes that Meli is in love with him. He can't act like this isn't the only woman he cares about but he cares about revenge more than her. Love can wait, he won't be able to live in peace unless he's walking over their bones.

Neshon takes the bottle from her and takes a drink from it. He pulls her in and hugs her.

"These past four years haven't exactly been easy. If I could've come back, I would've." Neshon says.

"what happened to you?" Meli asks him quietly.

Neshon didn't think that far. He turns around and heads to the bar to grab more ice to give himself time to make something up.

"while the Corp interrupted our battle, they shot me with a stray bullet & I passed out. I woke up while they were searching the area and got out of sight before they could find me. My blood trail gave me away so I had to keep running until they forgot about me. I tried to go up to Mount Vernon but the Royals have spread their territory from Harlem to the Bronx and they're even working on the lower east side. Well, what they can get under the Corp's nose." He says.

Meli immediately softened up. He didn't say much of anything but his performance was enough to convince her. Meli grabbed his shirt with her long red fingernails and sat him down on the bed. All flags look red through rose gold lenses. She kisses Neshon and he takes full advantage. This wasn't the first thing on his list but why not have some fun?