Chapter 7

NATALIA'S POV

"Natalia..." agad kong binaba ang libro at tinignan ang Empress.

"Yes, Your Majesty? May masakit po ba?" I replied. Umiling anamn siya na ikinaginhawa ko. Last night, I had my supper in my room and check the Empress before I went back again to my chamber.

"May I know what you are reading?" she ask. I stood up and showed her the book. 

"Its a book about herbs, Your Majesty," I said. Tinanggap niya ang libro."Maybe I could find a cure for your illness." dugtong ko.

"I don't think there's a cure for my illness, Natalia" lamya niyang sabi at binigay sa'kin ang libro. 

"But there's might be a way to treat you----" she immediately cut me. "The curse will never leave this body, Natalia. If only there's a way, I should have found it earlier on my own" she said. 

"No curse caster have live this long, only me... even my father didn't know what the cure is" she said. The former holiness? Even the former holiness? I clench my fist. For all these years no one find the cure for this curse?

"Even the winter fairies can't undo the curse..." she said and look tot he window. 

"Natalia... can you do me a favor?" sabi niya. I nod. Dahan-dahan siyang bumangod at agad ko siyang tinulungan.

"Gusto ko sanang bumisita sa puno. Isang linggo na rin akong hindi nakapagbisita" sabi niya. Lumingon ako sa bintana at nakita sa malayuan ang Golden Tree. I look back to the Empress and nod.

"I'll grab the parasol in a moment" I said and quickly get the parasol. Tinulungan ko siyang itayo at lumabas sa kwarto.

"Did His Imperial Majesty allowed you to go outside, Your Majesty?" I ask. Hindi siya sumagot at ngumiti lang.

"What if---"

"Don't worry, Natalia. Caspian will eventually understand, I got you" she said and chuckled. I sigh of relief. Buti nalang kundi patay ako sa Emperor. As we're walking in the hallway, the butler and maid greeted her and she replied them with a smile. A smile formed into my lips. She's even king to the palace's maids and butlers. I don't understand why some of the aristocrats talk bad at her.

As we got out of the palace I notice her smiled while looking the tree at the distance. That gentle smile of her could melt a person's heart for sure. I opened the parasol and we continued to walk.

"I'm worried every single day for the tree. In the book, the tree and the golden keeper is connected. If the keeper get in trouble, the same goes to the tree" she said.

"But as I keep observing it, I was thankful it didn't affect it with my curse. I'm afraid I might fail again as the Golden Keeper" lungkot niyang sabi na ikinagulat ko.

"You never failed as a Golden Tree Keeper, Your Majesty! You're the reason why Zemira is at peace!" I highly said. 

"And you are the best---" napahinto ako nang makita ang reaksyon niya. Her face look surprise. 

I quickly bowed, "I apologize for my behavior, Your Majesty." Sh*t! I didn't realize I raise my voice at her. Agad akong napatingala ng marinig siyang tumawa.

"Don't apologize, Natalia. I'm just surprise and amazed in what you said. Thank you" ngiting sabi niya na ikinangiti ko rin. Huminto kami sa paglakad ng marating ang puno.

"Waaa!" manghang sabi ko na nakatingin sa puno. Ang ganda! Nakatayo ito sa gitna ng lawa at ang sobrang laki! Halos paligid ng lupa dito ay may mga maliliit na bulaklak at sa paanan ng puno rin. Even the Golden flowers in the tree is fully bloom. Kumikinang ito lalo na't natatapatan ng araw. 

"Did you came when I did the ritual last year?" she ask.

"No I haven't, Your Majesty. I was called at the hospital for an urgent matter and I didn't make it in time, but I can't wait to see it this year" I said. Tinignan ko siya at nakatingin ito sa puno. She held out her hand and close her eyes.

My eyes widened when she starts humming. I felt a blow of strong wind passing us. Napatingin ako sa palagid at napatitig sa bulalak na nasa paanan ko. The flower buds bloomed! I look to the tree and the Golden Flowers were glowing. Her majesty continued humming, the calmness of her voice...I've never heard a voice as beautiful as this. She stop humming and look at me. 

"Since you missed it" she said and smiled. Napatigil ako. She did it for me? Just because I missed it?

"Thank you, Your Majesty" ngiting pasalamat ko. Now I have more motivation to persevere my search in finding the cure.

"The mages near the border must be confuse right now" tawang sabi niya. I chuckled and agreed. When her majesty sang or hum the song, the barrier at the border glows. 

"I think we should go back before my husband will find me here" sabi niya. Bumalik kami sa palasyo at doon tinuloy ang paguusap namin sa kwarto niya.

"You're the same age with Prince Cayden. I'm sure you have a lover" she said. Napangiti ako ng mapakla at umiwas ng tingin.

"Did I say something offensive, Young lady?" she worriedly said. I immediately shook my head, "No, Your Majesty. I use to have a lover, but I caught him cheating just a few days ago" 

"He did what? Him? cheating to a lovely woman like you?" hindi mapaniwalang sabi niya. Napangiti nalang ako ng mapakla.

"We've been together for four years, pero parang wala lang yun sakanya. I don't understand why he did that" I said. Surprisingly not a shed of tears fell to cheeks. Natuyo na siguro sa kakaiyak ko ng gabing yun. I wonder if my family already received the letter. I'm sure Ma and Pa would be angry. I hope Rowan could handle it.

"I remembered the time when Caspian and I separated for four years" sabi niya na ikinataka ko. Them? broke up? Why I didn't knew about this? Even in our class! 

"You must be confuse why you didn't knew about this, but we actually did separated. What happened at that time- no one dared to speak or mention every single of it. They all remained silent..."

"And I understand what you felt. Ang sakit mahiwalay sa mahal mo" she said and hold my hand.

"Here's an advice...never give a second chance to a cheating man. A cheater always remain a cheater" seryosong sabi niya na ikinahinto ko. 

"Thank you, Your Majesty" I said. Napalingon ako sa pintuan ng may kumatok. Agad rin itong bumukas. My eyes widened when I saw His Majesty entered. Kasama niya ang chancellor, Ama ng triplets at ang PK niya.

"Greetings, Your Majesty" kinakabahan kong bati. 

"Eleena, I received a letter from the border. Did you went to the tree" tanong niya. My hands starts to tremble. I hid both of my hands behind my back. Nyamas nalaman niya! I look at Her Majesty and she smiled.

"Yes, I did. But I'm not alone, this young lady accompanied me" Her majesty said. Lumingon sakin ang Emperor na agad kong ikinaayos sa pagtayo. Sh*t! am I gonna die?! 

"You let the Empress go to the tree? Despite her condition?" walang emosyong sabi niya. 

"I----i...---" I said with a trembling voice. His Majesty's eyebrows furrowed. I can feel my tears started to build in the corner of my eye. Sh*t! I must not cry! Wag kang umiyak! Wag kang umiyak!

DONE CHAPTER 7

VOTE, COMMENT, and SHARE