𝑡𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦-𝑠𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛.

27. | chapter twenty-seven

 | chapter twenty-seven

1979.

↠↠↠

Lydia Xavier searched through hundreds of different mutant's minds, trying to find anything peculiar or someone that needed their help and safety at the school. Her mind brushed passed many adult mutants minds, some of their thoughts dark whilst others had bright thoughts and big plans for their futures. Lydia's mind then singled out and stopped on a small child's mind. A bouncing little toddler stuck in an orphanage full of human's with no idea what to do with her.

"I've got one," Lydia announced to Hank. He took the time to unplug Cerebro from Lydia's mind and let her stand up from the chair that was placed before the machine. "I'm heading to Edison, New Jersey."

"Would you like any of us to go with you?" Hank asked, hurrying out of the room to follow Lydia's long strides.

"I think I can handle a toddler by myself, Hank," Lydia said with a laugh, stopping in the elevator and waiting for Hank to step in with her.

"Do you need money for a cab or something?" He asked.

Lydia grinned as she turned to him. "Hank, thank you for your concern, but I'm not ten anymore and I'm also no longer a depressed twenty-year-old alcoholic. I am twenty-six and I can handle myself now, thank you."

Hank awkwardly chuckled and scratched the back of his neck. "Right. Sorry." He watched as Lydia walked passed students and headed towards the garage. "Would you like me to alert Charles?"

"I've already told him." She turned around and saluted. "I'll see you tonight, Hank."

Hank waved Lydia off.

↠↠↠

It took Lydia just over two hours to reach the orphanage in Edison, New Jersey. Besides the minor road rage she displayed an hour into the car ride where Lydia ended out using her powers to make the asshole driver who would not keep out of her ass to make him think he had to turn around and go home, the drive was fairly smooth. The radio seemed to be playing fairly good tunes, prominently playing Bee Gees and ABBA songs.

She parked the dark grey car in one of the many empty parking spaces in the lot and hopped out of the car, making sure to lock it behind her before making her way into the orphanage. Lydia walked into the building and towards the front desk to the receptionist. The woman looked up from the book she was reading and frowned at Lydia as if she wasn't expecting anyone to rock up.

"Yes?" The receptionist asked.

"I'm here to see one of the children you have here," Lydia said. She wiggled her fingers and watched as her green magic went through the woman's head and her eyes turned a bright green. "I heard she's a special case and I wanted to check it out."