𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑟𝑡𝑦-𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑒.

39. | chapter thirty-nine

 | chapter thirty-nine

the x-men.

↠↠↠

After Peter's leg healed up, which didn't take that long, Hank had already recreated the Sentinels that they encountered ten years beforehand to help them in training the new X-Men. Erik had stayed during that time, and Charles had been warming up to his new bald look, considering it would never grow back.

"The world's already begun rebuilding its arsenals," Charles said as Erik, him and Lydia looked into the new training room where Ororo, Peter, Scott, Kurt, and Jean were all standing in their new suits, ready to learn how to fight as a team. Lydia was in her suit but she wanted to farewell Erik, and Avery was off running around the metallic hallways around them, chasing after a small green butterfly that Lydia made just to amuse the small child.

"Its human nature, Charles," Erik said.

"I still have hope for us," Lydia smiled.

"Oh, yes," Erik shook his head and looked down. ""Hope"."

Lydia glanced at Peter and he met her eyes. He gestured towards his suit and Lydia held her hand up in the perfect symbol. 'Hot', she mouthed and then winked.

"I was right about Raven. I was even right about you," Charles told Erik. Erik looked over at Charles and Lydia and they smiled.

"What about the rest of the world?" Erik asked. "Doesn't it ever wake you up in the middle of the night? The feeling that one day they'll come for you and your children."

"It does, indeed," Charles nodded.

"What do you do when you wake up to that?" Erik asked.

"I feel a great swell of pity for the poor soul that comes to my school looking for trouble."

"And anyway, nobody's going to be able to take the kids while I'm still here," Lydia smirked at Erik.

Erik chuckled and patted Lydia's shoulder. "There's the Lydia I remember."

Lydia shoved him. "She never even left."

Charles smiled at the two. "You're sure I can't convince you to stay?"

"You're psychic, Charles," Erik patted Charles' shoulder. "You can convince me to do anything."

"Well, you're always welcomed here if you need us, Erik," Lydia smiled as they hugged.

Avery run up to the trio as they pulled apart. "You can control metal, can't you?" She asked Erik.

Erik looked down at the girl and nodded. "I can. And what can you do?"

"I can make myself all stretchy! Watch!"

"Avery!" Lydia quickly grabbed onto her child and pulled her towards her, a laugh escaping her lips. Erik grinned at the two while Avery smiled up at her mother. "Mummy loves you, sweetheart, but you're very naughty."

Avery giggled. "I love you, too, Mommy."

Lydia looked at Erik. "She likes to mess around and freak the other kids out with her powers."

"Is that right?" Erik asked and looked down at the child. "How 'bout I take you back up to the kids and you can show me?"

"Yes! Mommy, can I go with Erik?"

Lydia laughed and looked down at Charles who smiled lightly at their exchange. "Yes, sweetie. You can go with Erik."

"Yay!" She grabbed onto his hand and began to drag Erik towards the elevator.

"Goodbye, old friend," Charles called out.

Erik threw Charles a smile over his shoulder. "Good luck, Professor," he replied and then the two were gone.

Lydia patted Charles' shoulder. "Erik'll be back," she smiled down at him. "No one likes to be alone."

"Except Erik," Charles laughed.

"Even Erik will eventually come crawling back," she smiled. "When Peter eventually tells him about their relation to each other. Yeah, he'll be back."

Charles nodded as he looked into the X-Men training room. "You should go join them. I'll go upstairs and make sure Erik hasn't let Avery run a muck."

Lydia grinned and nodded. "Thanks, Charlie." She walked into the room and took her place besides Raven.

Raven nodded at her and then began to walk down the line of teenagers and Peter. "Forget everything you think you know," Raven began. "Whatever lessons you learned in school, whatever your parents taught you. None of that matters! You're not kids anymore." Lydia glanced at Peter with her eyebrow raised. That question still needed to be answered. "You're not students."

"You're X-Men," Lydia smiled at everyone. "Welcome to the club, we have t-shirts. Or should I say suits."

Raven gave Lydia a look before turning her head to Hank and Alex who were by the control panels. "Wait!" Lydia called out to them. Hank stopped himself from pressing the button and everyone looked at Lydia.

Lydia began to walk down the line of mutants until she reached Peter who smirked down at her. Lydia narrowed her eyes at him as she held her hand up to his mouth. Peter spat out his chewing gum onto her hand.

"You're useless, Maximoff. Absolutely useless." Peter stuck his tongue out at Lydia as she walked up to Raven.

Hank pressed a few buttons and the lights dimmed down. All of the mutants in the straight line turned around to look at what was coming. Ororo held her hands out and brought lightning to her hands. Scott pressed the button on the side of his new glasses that turned them on. Jean placed her fingers against her forehead. Kurt wiggled his tail as he prepared himself in a stance. Peter placed his goggles over his eyes.

The doors opened up and several Sentinel's stepped out, preferably one for each mutant. All of the new X-Men stood there until they would be given the signal.

Raven waited until the Sentinel's were about to reach them when she started them.