𝑡𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦-𝑡𝑤𝑜.

22. | chapter twenty-two

❝a glimpse into the future

a glimpse into the future.

↠↠↠

Logan, Charles, Hank and Lydia walked through the entrance of the Xavier mansion, completely pissed off that their plan to use Erik backfired. Lydia woke up from being unconscious only twenty minutes ago, the dull ache in the back of her head still there.

They marched into the room when Charles' legs suddenly gave out on him. Hank and Lydia were by his side in an instant. "What happened? Can he walk?" Logan asked.

"He needs his treatment," Lydia told Logan as she helped Hank hold Charles up. Hank picked up Charles and placed him on the couch.

"Hank, I can hear them," Charles instantly said, holding his hands against his ears.

"I know. It's okay, I'll make it stop. I'll get it," Hank urgently said before making a dash out of the room and up the stairs.

Lydia crouched down in front of Charles with a concerned face, watching as her brother struggled to control the voices in his head. "Charlie, breathe with me. Control your breathing," she told him softly.

"Hey, hey, pull yourself together. It's not over yet," Logan told him.

"You don't believe that," Charles said instantly.

Logan frowned. "How do you know?"

"As these go," Charles gestured to his legs, then brought his hand up to his head. "This comes back. They all come back." Charles held his hands over his head again and began to groan in pain.

"Lydia, can you do something?" Logan quickly asked her.

"I-I can't," she shook her head. "Not without hurting him."

"Yes, you can. I know it," Logan replied instantly. "Remember what I told you the other day about controlling your emotions and trusting yourself? All you need to do is not worry about hurting him. Just believe you won't, trust yourself that you won't."

"I don't want to, just in case," Lydia sadly said. "I could-I could fry his brain. Or worse."

"Then try it with me," Logan said, bending down besides Lydia. He grabbed her hands and placed them on either side of his head. "Test it out on me."

"Logan," she warned.

"One of my mutations is that I have regenerated healing," he told her. "I can deal with mutations like these. If you fry my brain, it's just going to heal itself straight away. Trust me."

"Are you sure?"

Logan nodded, slowly letting go of her hands. "Trust me."

Lydia took a deep breath before closing her eyes, immediately focusing on calming herself down. She then suddenly remembered the training Charles gave her ten years prior, about concentrating on happy thoughts only and not the bad ones; focusing on your positive emotions and not your negative ones.