𝑒𝑙𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛.

11. | chapter eleven

 | chapter eleven

flying coins.

↠↠↠

Erik immediately got off of Lydia and Charles and Lydia rolled off of Charles when he suddenly sat up straight and turned to her, cupping her cheeks and scanning her face for any damage.

"Lydia, are you alright?" Charles asked quickly as he began to look over Lydia's body.

"Never been better," Lydia moved slightly and grunted at a short pain in her side. "That was a lie."

Charles shook his head at her, his eyes turning desperate. "I'm suppose to be looking after you. I made a promise to our father."

Lydia reached her hand up to his face and patted his cheek. "You are doing a wonderful job at looking after me. If it wasn't for you, my powers would have consumed me a long time ago," she told him.

"I love you, Lyds."

"And I love you, too, Charlie."

Charles smiled at the nickname and then hurried towards Moira, asking if she was okay. As everyone unbuckled themselves from their seats, they all looked through the small window at the trio standing in front of the submarine.

"I read the teleporter's mind. Shaw is drawing all the power out of his sub. He's turning himself into some kind of nuclear bomb," Charles informed everyone.

"We got no time. The Geiger count is going out of control," Moira announced.

"Moira, this is what we're gonna do," Charles addressed her. "Get on the radio and tell them to clear both fleets out immediately."

"I'm going in!" Erik announced.

"Beast, Havok, back him up," Charles said. "Erik, I can guide you through once you're in but I need you to shut down whatever it is that's blocking Lydia and I, then we just hope to god it's not too late for me to stop him."

"What about me?" Lydia asked him.

"You are staying with me. You are not going back out there." Lydia lightly rolled her eyes but knew that she wasn't going to be able to persuade him otherwise. "Good luck!" Charles called out to everyone. Raven began to make her way out of the jet. "Raven, stop!"

"I'm going to help them," she insisted.

"We don't have time for this. If anything comes in that entrance, you're taking care of it, yes?" Charles instructed.

"Fine," Raven spat out and made her way after the others. Lydia looked out of the window briefly at Alex, Hank and Erik before deciding that they will be able to take on the others.

Charles also looked out the window as Erik made his way into the sub. Lydia decided to connect her mind with Erik's as well so that she could also communicate with him.

"Erik, make for the middle of the vessel. That's the point our minds can't penetrate. We have to assume that that's where Shaw is," Charles told him.

Erik made his way through go a control room. "That looks like the nuclear reactor." Charles nodded at Lydia.

"Disable it," Charles informed Erik. Erik pulled down the lever. Erik then opened up a door and walked into some kind of lounging area. "Erik, you're there. You've reached the void."

"He's not here, guys. Shaw's not here! He's left the sub!" Erik informed them quickly.

"What? That's not possible," Lydia mumbled as she surveyed the room with Erik's mind.

"He has got to be there! He has to be! There's nowhere else he can be! Keep looking!" Charles pushed.

"And I'm telling you he's not. There's no one here, god damn it!" Erik said.

"Check for secret rooms!" Lydia quickly spoke.

Erik suddenly stopped talking to them and his head began to get blocked off. "Erik? Erik!" Charles called out.

"Erik? Are you with him?" Lydia asked. When she couldn't feel him anymore, she turned to Charles. "He's gone."

"He's gone!" Charles called louder.

"What?" Moira asked.

"He's gone into the void! I can't communicate with him there," Charles yelled at her.

Charles started pacing when Lydia was hit with a thought like a wave. "Woah!" She gripped her head. "He's back!"

"Erik, whatever you're doing, keep doing it. It's starting to work," Charles told him.

"Come on, Erik!" Lydia cheered. Erik was smashed into a mirror and she could finally see Shaw. "I can see him!"

"I can't yet touch his mind," Charles said.

"You've come a long way from bending gates," Shaw taunted. "I'm so proud of you." Lydia quickly realised that he was trying to make Erik join his side. Erik then began to control the metal above them and smash them into the room. The whole room became a complete mess and Lydia could start seeing him more clearly. "And you're just starting to scratch the surface. Think how much further we could go together." Erik began pushing a metal beam towards Shaw when Shaw held his hand out and began pushing it against Erik.

"Keep taunting him, Erik! It's working!" Charles told him.

"I don't want to hurt you, Erik. I never did," Shaw smiled at Erik. "I want to help you. This is our time. Our age. We are the future of the human race. You and me, son. This world could be ours."

"Everything you did made me stronger. It's made me the weapon I am today. It's the truth. I've known it all along." Lydia was suddenly hit with many different memories, all with Erik and Shaw in Erik's childhood. Lydia stared at it with her lips parted in shock at the horror Shaw had caused upon Erik. "You are my creator." Erik controlled a set of wires to take off Shaw's helmet. "Now Charles!"

Charles connected with Shaw and made him freeze on the spot. "Are you okay?" Moira asked.

"Shush, gosh darn it. He's concentrating," Lydia quietened her.

"Sorry, Lydia. Charles," Erik grabbed the helmet into his hand.

"Erik, don't do this!" Lydia cried out.

"Be the better man!" Charles spoke.

Erik placed the helmet onto his head and Lydia was instantly connected to Shaw, who was freaking out because he knew he was going to lose. "It's not that I don't trust you two."

"No!" Charles groaned. "Don't do this Erik!"

Erik walked towards Shaw. "If you're in there, I'd like you to know that I agree with every word you said. We are the future. But, unfortunately, you killed my mother." Erik walked away from him slightly before turning back around, a German coin from when Hitler reined in his hand. Shaw's memories flashed back to when he shot Erik's mother after Erik failed to move the coin.

"This is what we're going to do," Erik began. "I'm going to count to three and I'm going to move the coin. One."

"Lydia, disconnect yourself immediately!" Charles instructed.

Lydia disconnected her mind from Shaw's and quickly turned towards Charles with a sad face, watching as he prepared himself for the pain that he was about to experience.

"Two." The coin flew from Erik's hand and towards Shaw's forehead. Charles looked towards Lydia and grabbed onto her hand, the two of them locking eyes as Lydia sadly looked at her brother. "Three." Lydia closed her eyes as the coin made contact with Shaw's head and Charles let out a scream of pain as the coin moved through Shaw's head, before dropping onto the floor behind him.