XXIII

Peter looks up hearing the buzzer, “Hey Ned, come on up,” he says seeing it’s his friend.  After a few more minutes there's a knock on the door.  Peter steels his nerves and opens it, “Hi,” he says coming face to face with Ned.

     “Hey Peter,” Ned smiles before holding up the box, “You ready to get started?”

     Peter grins, “Of course.”  He steps aside allowing Ned in and closes the door behind him,  “We can work in the living room since May won’t be home for a while, or we can do it in my room,” Peter explains wringing his hands nervously.

     “Let’s stay here, then we’ll be closer to the snacks,” Ned replies enthusiastically.

     Peter smiles catching Ned’s enthusiasm, “Okay!”  He moves around Ned to the living room and clears off the coffee table.  Ned follows him and places the box on the table.

     “Peter,” Ned says turning to face his friend, “Are ready to embark on this journey with me and build all 4,016 pieces of the LEGO Death Star?”

     Peter nods, “I am, let us begin Jedi Master Ned.”  They both dissolve into laughter as Ned opens the box and pulls out the instructions.

     “What do we think, instructions needed?” Ned asks.

     “For this one, definitely,” Peter replies taking them from him and opening them up, “I wouldn’t even know where to start by myself.”

     After a several minutes, Percy and Annabeth walk in with grocery bags, “We’re back, oh hey Ned!” Percy says spotting the two in the living room.

     “Hi Percy,” Ned waves from where he’s conferring with the instructions, “Did you guys get any snacks?”

     “Of course,” Percy replies placing his bags on the counter, “Since I know May doesn’t like buying junk food, we got all the goods.”

     “She’s not gonna like it when she sees what you’ve bought,” Peter remarks while putting pieces together.

     “She won’t know if the evidence is gone by the time she gets back,” Percy replies while emptying his bag of groceries, “I’ve got barbecue chips for my man Ned and popcorn for Pete.”

     “Thanks Percy,” Ned replies getting up to grab the snacks.

     “Enjoy, Annabeth and I are going out for a bit, have fun with your Star Trek or whatever,” Percy jokes as he grabs his coat.

     “It’s not Star Trek and you know it!” Peter shouts as Percy exits laughing.

     “I still can’t believe he’s Riptide,” Ned mutters turning back to Peter.

     “Sometimes, I can’t either,” Peter replies before turning back to the LEGOs, “Oh no, this four by two is in the wrong spot.  Can you pass me the orange tool?”

     “Oof, I wish you luck with that endeavor Jedi Knight Peter,” Ned replies handing him the tool.

     “Hey, how come I’m a Jedi Knight?” Peter asks as he attempts to pry the two pieces apart.

     “Because you put the four by two in the wrong place,” Ned replies watching Peter struggle.

•••

     “And…we’re done,” Ned says as he clicks the last piece into place.

     “Wow, it’s amazing!” Peter says stepping back to admire their work.