002

Tam was not at all thrilled.

Homecoming season was the worst- girls traveled in giggling crowds, always shoving each other towards whatever boy they were trying to ask out. Principal Leto had to make an announcement every morning because bathrooms were always full of angsty teenagers crying in the stalls and ditching classes. And the homecoming vote- that was all anybody talked about. The golden boy vs. that annoying blonde kid always obsessed with his hair. It was sickening.

"Lighten up!" Linh enthused, noticing his sour expression. "It's homecoming season! Who were you thinking of taking to the dance? Isn't that Sophie girl in your algebra class? Maybe you could ask her."

Tam shook his head. "She's not my type."

"Oh yeah. You like brunettes, right?"

Tam shrugged. His mind flashed to the other homecoming queen nominee- Biana. She looked nice enough, and she was pretty too. But that was a dumb thought. She probably already had a boyfriend- and if not, there must've been dozens of boys lining up to ask her out.

Linh gave him a reassuring hug. "It's okay Tam. You'll figure it out. For now, can you drive me to swim practice? I'd drive myself, but you're better at driving than I am."

That was true: they were both juniors in high school, but Tam had gotten his license in sophomore year, while Linh hadn't wanted to drive up until a couple months ago. People probably judged them for moving out after freshman year, but Tam doubted he could have spent any more time with his parents.

1 new notification: @bianav- uploaded a new post

"Sure, Linh. I'll take you." Tam managed to keep up a half-smile until Linh disappeared into her room to change. He tapped on the notification.

@bianav-

thanks so much for nominating me for homecoming queen @foxfirehighschool !!

congrats to the other noms too !! love you all xoxo <33

#homecomingqueen #foxfire

❤ 47 🗨 4

liked by you and 46 others

Tam stared at the selfie Biana had attached alongside the post for just a moment too long. He closed out the app, cleared his throat, and hurried to the car.