013

1 new notification: unknown texted you three new messages

Ignoring me??

Dont leave me on read

Call me pls

Tam shook his head, shoving his phone away. He could already spot the sea of blue and black jerseys- Foxfire's school colors. And if he didn't hurry up, he'd be late. His pace increased from a brisk walk to a slow jog.

"Look who decided to show up!" Keefe walked up to Tam as he approached, patting him on the back in a frustratingly patronizing way. Even so, the gesture didn't seem malicious, it was genuine. It was the kind of slap that said, Let's be friends but I kinda hope this hurts.

"Good to be here," Tam said stiffly, though that was a complete lie.

Tam's football experience was virtually non-existent. His Little League career had crashed and died when a kid he'd accidentally smacked with a ball had to go to the hospital. And sports really weren't his thing. Tam figured he'd embarrass himself, get recorded, and turn into a viral meme again.

"Okay boys, is everyone here?" Coach Harding scanned the group and scribbled something onto a clipboard so hurriedly, Tam was pretty sure it wasn't even english. "Let's start with warm ups! I want a lap around the field, the last person to get back here drops down and gives me fifty push-ups."

With that, Tam was nearly trampled.

The entire crowd took off sprinting before Tam could even register Coach Harding's words. Keefe and Fitz quickly sped to the very front, battling for the lead. Tam forced himself to stand, brushing the fake turf of his face and already regretting his life decisions. He could tell that those fifty push-ups were going to hurt.

Next was drills- passing and throwing the football, running exercises, and more complicated activities that Tam had zero experience in. Coach Harding swept through the crowd, passing everyone a football. He frowned when Tam fumbled with his own football and dropped it.

"Hey you, Song- run down there, towards the other side of the field. You'll be passing to Sencen."

Tam scowled. Why did he have to run all the way down there? He could feel Keefe's smirk as he half-limped across the field.

"Just pass the ball over to Sencen here!" Coach Harding shouted.

Tam took a deep breath, already seeing the memes and TikToks- wannabe football player manages to knock himself unconscious by throwing football. He put all his strength into the throw, but the football landed halfway between him and Keefe instead. Snickers rose from the onlooking crowd.

Tam gritted his teeth. He hated that sound. Like they thought he was weak. Like they had no idea what Tam had been through to get here. The feeling only amplified when Keefe tossed the football back, smacking Tam in the shoulder.

I don't trust him, someone once said about Tam. But I trust his anger. You've never seen the Song children when they're mad.

Tam felt himself smile. Maybe football wasn't so bad after all.

He picked up the football and hurled it at Keefe's face.