008

It was definitely Linh's fault.

Even after what probably qualified as the shortest phone call in history (where Biana had not so subtly invited him over to Cafe Latte to hang out during her lunch break) Tam was still having second thoughts.

A girl? Really?

Especially after all the eye rolls and snarky comments he'd made about boys tripping over their own feet to win over some stupid girl?

Tam opened his mouth to complain again to Linh, but a sharp ping from his phone beat him to it.

1 new notification: @bianav- uploaded a new post

@bianav-

working at @cafelatte !! lunch break's almost here <3 love u all a latte !! ;)

#cafelatte #homecomingqueen

❤ 17 🗨 5

liked by you and 17 others

Attached to the post was a selfie of her, posing in a mint green Cafe Latte apron, her chocolate brown hair in a high messy bun. Thin, chocolate brown strands outlined her delicate features, and her dark lashes hung over wide, bright teal eyes. 

Tam tried not to smile.

It didn't work.

With way too much effort, he turned off his phone and crept downstairs, in a hopefully inconspicuous attempt at being stealthy.

Obviously, that didn't work either.

"Where are you going?" Linh asked suspiciously, turning around slowly from her seat at the dining table.

He opened his mouth to use the tried-and-true "just going for a walk" excuse- then noticed the car keys in his hand.

"Fine," Tam sighed, scowling at her. He rolled his eyes, just so Linh knew that his maybe-crush didn't make him any less surly. "If you really want to know, Biana wanted me to come see her on her lunch break. At Cafe Latte."

From the way Linh squealed, Tam would've thought he was a K-pop idol rather than an angsty teenage boy.

"REALLY?! NO. WAY. YOU'RE KIDDING, RIGHT?!" Linh's silvery blue eyes were wide with excitement. "But- this is great! Maybe you two can go to the homecoming dance together! I mean, she's a nominee, and it looks like either her or that Sophie girl will win... I mean, look at the polls!"

Linh practically shoved her phone into Tam's face, letting him navigate to the Foxfire website.

www.foxfirehighschool.net

homecoming polls !! remember to place your vote !!

Stina Destry Heks- 259

Sophie Elizabeth Foster- 138

Biana Amberly Vacker- 137

Keefe Sencen- 243

Fitz Vacker- 241

"Linh... I don't think you're looking at this correctly." Tam surveyed the screen a second time, frowning. "Biana's losing. By over a hundred points. And to Stina Heks, at that."

Linh pulled her phone back and scanned the page. "Huh. That's odd. I checked this just a couple hours ago, and Sophie and Biana were almost tied. Stina was a good amount behind. I wonder how she managed to get so many votes all at once."

"Maybe the school made an announcement?" Tam suggested, though his guess didn't quite line up. "Or Stina started some sort of advertising campaign?"

Linh shrugged, slipping her phone back into her pocket. "I guess so."

But it still seemed odd. How could Stina have gained so many followers in a matter of hours?

Tam shook his head. This wasn't the time to get distracted. He had a job to do- somewhere to go, someone to meet.

And Tam tried not to let it bother him as he pulled out of the driveway, double checking his silver tipped bangs in the rearview mirror.