007

"Are you sure this is going to work?"

Stina rolled her eyes, hoping her exasperation was evident through the phone. "Of course it will. And I say that because we're screwed if it doesn't."

"But you're positive it's necessary?"

"You've seen the polls! If we don't interfere, there's a chance the Vacker girl might actually win- or worse, the Sophie girl." Stina scoffed, wrinkling her nose. Everything from Sophie's perfect blonde hair to her golden flecked brown eyes was disgusting. Why did everyone even like her so much anyways? She was so overrated.

1 new notification: "mom 🙄😬" texted you a new message

Stina!! Dinners ready!!

Get home!!! Where even are you??? What are you doing???

Another eye roll. Stina couldn't exactly text back, "Oh nothing!! Just casually hacking my high school's website and rigging the homecoming polls 😄 Love you! 😘" She laughed darkly to herself, imagining how that conversation would go.

Sorry, just hanging out at a friends house

I'll be home in five

Now she was curious. What would her mom say if she knew Stina was cheating? Nothing good, probably. She got her competitiveness from her mom, but sabotaging her fellow homecoming queen nominees was pretty bad...

"Hey. Are you still there? You still want me to go through with this, right?"

Stina shook her head, clearing her scrambled thoughts. This was not the time for second thoughts. "Yeah. I'm here. Just do it, 'kay? Or are you too much of a wimp to break the rules?"

"Jeez, okay. Just making sure you weren't getting cold feet."

"I'm not," Stina snapped, too quickly for it to be true. "Just do it already."

"Okay."

There were a couple seconds of painful silence, with only the sound of a clicking keyboard on the other end to break the tension. 

And Stina braced herself for the wave of guilt that followed when the voice whispered, "There we go. Done."