003

The one time Keefe managed to focus on homework for more than two minutes, the phone had to ring.

He hoped it was Sophie calling, but that was probably unrealistic. Foster was crazy about studying- it explained why she skipped a grade, a junior instead of a sophomore like her cousin Dex. And she spent most of her weekend crammed over a pile of textbooks for an exam that was weeks away.

Just thinking about her made him smile.

But Keefe was right- it wasn't Sophie calling him. It was Biana.

"What does Biana want?" Keefe muttered, swiping at the screen. "Hi? Biana?"

"Hi Keefe!" Biana's voice was bright and eager, even through the phone. She was obviously excited that Keefe picked up. "Sorry to call you. I'm actually at work right now."

"You work at Cafe Latte down the street, right?"

"Yep!" He could practically hear Biana's smile. "You should come by sometime. Say hi, you know."

Keefe wanted to smack his head. So this was what it was about. He'd been friends with the Vackers for years now, and he was pretty used to Biana's not-so-inconspicuous crush. "Um... I guess so. Maybe."

Biana giggled. "Well, I just called to ask... do you want to go to the homecoming dance with me?"

Keefe felt his heart drop to his feet. The homecoming dance? Oh no. This was going to be awkward.

He cleared his throat uncomfortably. "Um... I'm really sorry Biana. But I'm actually already taking someone. I'm really, really sorry."

And he was- really. So much so that if he hadn't asked a crazy-blushing Foster who thankfully accepted less than five minutes before Biana called, he might've just accepted Biana's invitation to spare her feelings. Even though emphasizing the "going as friends" part would be tiring.

Biana was quiet for five long, painful seconds. Her voice was tiny when she spoke, all enthusiasm gone. "Oh. Oh, okay. It's okay."

"I'm really sorry," Keefe said again, knowing the words wouldn't be enough.

"It's okay," Biana repeated. 

There was another pause, and Keefe assumed she already hung up. Just as he set down his phone, Biana's voice peeped up, "Um, just out of curiosity... who are you taking to the dance?"

"Oh- Sophie. I asked her a minute or two before you called."

This time, Biana really did hang up.