faerie// tyler

a/n: this is based off of the cruel prince by holly black

a human girl waltzed into the throne room, shaking as she stared up at the faerie who sat atop the extravagant stone throne. one of his hands rested on the edge of the armrest, the rings on his fingers reflecting the light from the chandelier above them. the other hand was propping his head up, making him appear bored. his brown hair feathered over his forehead and his menacing eyes seemed to stare down at her in contempt. his pointed ears were adorned with shiny earrings, and the golden crown on his head fell at an angle. he was breathtakingly beautiful and terrifying at the same time.

"why are you here?" he asked her, leaning forward.

"i came back because although you thought you could chase me out, you happened to be wrong," she replied. "i request to speak with you privately."

"i will do no such thing," he stated. his tone made him appear so powerful, it made her a bit nervous. but she knew that she could control him. that she had the true power over him.

"you will speak with me privately," she demanded. he stared down at her, troubled.

"fine," he gritted out between clenched teeth. he stood up from his throne and led the way to a room just around the corner. one of his knights stayed outside as he entered the room with her. he shut the door and sat down on the chair across from her.

"you really thought i wouldn't come back?" she asked humorously.

"i knew that you would," he stated, his dark eyes dancing across her face. "i just hoped that you wouldn't." she knew that he was telling the truth, for it was impossible for him to lie.

he didn't look angry, nor did he look afraid. his face was devoid of any emotion as he stared at her. even his voice was rather reserved. it didn't hold the playful or wicked tone that it usually did.

"you thought that you could humiliate me into leaving, but you are still bound to me. i came back to reclaim my position," she told him. she recalled the time not so long ago when tyler had held her close, kissing her face and making her believe that she belonged here. only for him to then turn on her in front of everyone, acting as if none of that had ever happened and she was just a ridiculous human girl. he had somehow tricked her, and she wasn't sure how she had fallen for it. but that wasn't going to stop her from coming back here and taking what was hers.

"surely we can undo the deal we've made and i can offer you some other high position in the court," he said.

"why would i do that? the only other higher position than seneschal would be queen, and you don't mean to make me your queen, do you?" she asked, tilting her head teasingly.

"of course not," he responded. he continued to stare at her, as if he were trying to scheme his way out of this.

"why do you want me gone so badly?" she asked.

"is it not obvious? you can order me to do anything. i want freedom to rule by myself," he said.

"but that's not all, is it?"

he was silent as he twisted one of the rings around his finger.

"there's more to it. tell me," she ordered.

"you are changing me, and i do not like it," he admitted. she furrowed her eyebrows, a bit confused as to what he could mean by that. he always had a way of twisting his words, even though he was unable to lie, so she always had to think hard about what he was saying. but his statement seemed pretty straightforward. she had changed him in some way by being close to him, and he feared it.