storybook character// tyler

you closed your notebook, setting your pencil down beside it. it was late, and you had a class the next day, so you decided to take a break from writing for the night to go to sleep.

you were writing a fictional story. it wasn't for a project or anything, it was just for fun. something you enjoyed doing in your free time when you weren't working on college homework.

you were really starting to like how the story was turning out. you had just finished writing the part where the main character had fallen into some other dimension in his sleep- but that was where you stopped. you were excited to finish it up the next day.

you had been sleeping for a few hours already when you were awoken by a loud crash coming from your closet. you bolted up, your heart beating at a million miles per minute. after a few deep breaths, you convinced yourself that something had probably just fallen down. you laid back down, pulling the blanket back up over your body.

then, you started to hear the creaking sound of the closet door opening. at this point, you were terrified, not having any idea as to what was causing this noise. you slowly sat up yet again, staring at the closet in fear.

when the door had opened all of the way, you began to see a human figure. your eyes widened, and your heart beat quickened again. there was no way some random person had gotten into your room. it had to be one of your siblings trying to scare you.

"where am i?" a soft, higher pitched male voice asked. that voice definitely didn't belong to one of your siblings.

"who are you? what are you doing in my room?" you asked, your voice trembling. this boy, whoever he was, didn't sound very intimidating, but you still had no idea whether or not he was here to kidnap you.

you slowly leaned towards your lamp, hesitantly turning it on. you were scared of this strange boy doing something to you if you moved too suddenly.

he stood up off the floor, looking around the room with furrowed eyebrows. "i'm tyler. and i have no idea why i'm here. i don't even know where i am," he admitted confusedly. he sounded convincing, but you weren't sure whether or not you should've believed him. this could've just been one of his tactics.

but his name was tyler. that was strange, considering you had named the main character in your book the same thing. in fact, now that you looked at the boys face, he seemed to match the description you had written for him as well. fluffy brown hair curling over his forehead, soft amber eyes. he looked to be around your age too. and he was cute.

"i'm y/n. what's your last name?" you asked curiously.

"joseph. why are you asking me this?"

okay, that was definitely a little odd. of course, it must've just been a coincidence, but how likely was it that a random boy who was basically identical to the boy in your story had appeared in your room in the middle of the night?

"uhh... no reason," you lied, biting your lip. "where are you from?"

"ohio," he replied. "we are in ohio, correct?" he asked.

"yeah. columbus," you reassured him.

"well, i'm extremely confused right now. you have no idea how i got here either?" he stared at you with hope in his eyes, like you held the answer to this question. you did have a theory in mind, but it sounded so stupid that you couldn't even bring yourself to say it out loud. how were you supposed to tell somebody that they were a fictional character who had accidentally just fallen into another dimension?

"not unless you believe in fantasies," you said with a light laugh, brushing it off as if it were a joke.

it was quiet for the next few minutes. tyler stood standing in the same position, probably too uncomfortable to sit down anywhere. you were almost too freaked out to offer him to sit next to you, but you felt bad making him stand.