don't call me that// tyler

"Hey, what's up dude?" You asked your best friend, Tyler, over the phone. The boy sighed, sinking himself into the cushion of his couch. He hated when you called him that. It didn't seem like much of a big deal, but he wanted you to look at him as more than just your 'guy friend.' He loved the platonic relationship you both had together, but he just wished you could see him in a different light. He wanted something more.

"Nothing," Tyler answered simply. "Are you busy today?"

"Nope."

"Well, Josh invited me to a movie with him and Debby because they know how bad I want to see Avengers four, but I don't wanna third wheel the entire time," he explained, hoping you'd come along.

"So you want me to be your date for the night?" You asked jokingly, instantly causing Tyler's cheeks to turn red. He was grateful that you couldn't see him.

"No, no," he stammered. "I mean, just like, you know-"

"I know what you mean," you said with a giggle. "I'll be there."

Tyler then let Josh know you were coming, which he was completely fine with. He knew how much Tyler liked you, and he wanted to help his best friend win you over. But he knew about the situation you guys were in, so he figured it'd be hard to get you both together. However, Josh had promised Tyler that it was possible to get out of the friend zone. It would just take a bit of work. So he came over to help his friend out.

"You need to dress nice. She'll notice that," Josh stated.

"But it's just a movie," Tyler countered, walking over to his closet. "Besides, I don't have nice clothes."

"You have to treat it like it's a date," Josh explained. "Even if you told her it wasn't."

Tyler groaned as he opened the closet doors, trying to find the nicest thing he owned. He eventually pulled out a navy button up shirt and some black jeans. It was casual, yet when he put it on, it seemed to suit him nicely.

He did his hair, too. First he combed it, and then he rubbed a small amount of gel through his dark brown locks, styling it nicely and fluffing it up a bit to add some volume. He even shaved his face, which made his skin look a lot smoother and clearer.

He went back into his room, spraying a bunch of Axe cologne all over his body. Josh said he could smell it all the way from the other room, so Tyler decided that that was enough.

And finally, he slipped on a pair of his Doc Martin boots and grabbed his keys and phone, shoving them into the back pocket of his skinny jeans.

"Do I look okay?" He asked his best friend, who nodded vigorously.

"She'll definitely notice."

First, they were going to pick up Debby, and then you. Josh sat in the back because he figured you'd want the passenger seat next to Tyler, and Debby could sit next to him.

Soon enough, all three of them were in the car, pulling up to your apartment building, waiting for you to come downstairs. When Tyler spotted you leaving your apartment, he quickly looked at himself in the tiny driver's mirror, running his hands through his hair over and over again to make sure it stayed in place. Debby slapped his hand away playfully, laughing. "You look great, don't worry!"

You eventually opened the door to the passenger seat, smiling at Tyler and greeting everyone as you sat down.

Tyler looked a bit... different today. Not a bad different, and not even a hugely noticeable one, but it happened to catch your eye. He usually dressed a bit more casually, especially when you went to hang out, but he looked good. Charming, even.

But you couldn't tell him that. He was one of your best friends, and pointing out that he looked really good would've given too much away. You were strictly friends, and you had tried to keep it that way. It was hard, though. It was hard, because Tyler was a real catch, and you were smitten. But you were too awkward and had never been in a relationship, so you didn't know how to go about it anyway. So you left it alone.

When you arrived at the theater, Tyler had offered to buy you some snacks, but you felt bad and declined. However, he bought some stuff anyway and handed it to you, causing you to roll your eyes jokingly.

During the movie, you kept catching yourself staring at Tyler. You'd look at him from time to time, watching as he stared the screen, completely engrossed with the characters. The light hit his face at the perfect angle, brightening his honey brown eyes but shadowing the rest of his face. You were infatuated.

Tyler wanted to make some progress with you, but it was difficult, especially during a movie. The only thing he could try was holding your hand, but he was too afraid that you'd reject him.

So when the movie ended, the four of you walked out, Tyler still a bit disappointed. He didn't even know why he tried. What did he expect? You to jump in his arms and kiss him? It was all so unrealistic, it was deemed hopeless from the beginning.

You guys all talked about the movie as you walked back to the car, Tyler masking his disappointment with a smile. He liked the movie, he really did, but he couldn't find it in him to care so much right now.

"Bro," you said, trying to catch Tylers attention. "Did you notice that part when-" You tried to say, but he ended up cutting you off.

"Don't call me that," he snapped, catching you off guard. Josh and Debby seemed to notice his sudden annoyance, so they quickly walked ahead of you guys.

"Call you what?" You asked, confused as to what he meant. You had no idea why you had angered him.

"'Bro,' like I'm your brother or something. I'm just like every other guy, aren't I?"

"What do you mean?" You asked, grabbing his arm and pulling him aside. He was looking down at his shoes shamefully, as if he'd done something wrong.

"I mean that I've tried so hard to show you how I feel. I wish that you'd see me as more than just your guy friend. Just reject me already, okay? I'm not gonna get my hopes up for nothing," he admitted, the words like a gut to your heart. You didn't know how he felt, and you didn't know that you were hurting him.

"I'm not going to reject you," you replied, rocking back and forth on your heels, not exactly sure how to word this to him. "I'm just... I'm too weird for this, Tyler. You know me well enough."

"Too weird?" He questioned, obviously not understanding your logic.

"Why do you think I never talk about boys, Tyler? And it's not because I don't like any," you started, Tyler listening intently. "It just makes me feel weird, okay? I've never dated anyone because I don't know how. I'm shy and I never know what to say. But if you're going to force me to admit it, then I will," you explained. "I like you," you tried to say as quick as possible, the words making you cringe as they escaped your mouth.

Tyler was speechless, he couldn't find the right words to say. This was the last thing he was expecting to hear tonight.

"I know relationships can feel strange," he finally said, looking you in the eyes. "But you don't need to feel weird when you're with me. If anything, I'm definitely the odd one," he said with a giggle. You smiled, surprising him with a sudden hug. You rested your head against his chest, breathing in his familiar scent as you wrapped your arms around the frame of his body. His hugs made you feel like you were on fire, excitement pulsing through your veins. You were glad he knew how you felt now.

"You look really nice today, Tyler. I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier," you mumbled against his shirt. You felt the vibration of his light chuckle through his chest, not daring to let go of him. "But you always look cute, anyway."

"Can I take you on a date?" He asked out of the blue. He feared that you'd say no, but you pulled away, looked into those soft eyes of his, and nodded.

Now that you had agreed to go on your first date, you knew that you'd have to move a little bit out of your comfort zone. And since Tyler was the person you were the most comfortable around, you didn't think that leaning up to kiss his cheek would be too scary. And it wasn't. He giggled, causing a smile to spread across your face. How a boy could be so cute, you had no idea.