Chapter Twenty-Four ➹ Atlas Contreras ➹

"Oblivion is in the building."

"Where?" I reached for my knives, preparing to strike. I scanned the room and tallied the exits and entrances. One door and two windows. I'll have to keep close tabs on those.

"She's with you right now. Atlas, Katrina is Oblivion."

I fought to keep the surprise off my face. If what Chase is saying is true, I don't want to show my hand too quickly. "How did you find that information?"

He didn't respond.

"Chase? Chase?"

Still no answer.

I shifted my gaze toward the door. If Chase and Marisa are in danger, I have to go help them! I fingered the hilts of my knives and prepared to charge out the door to rescue Chase.

Katrina caught me staring at the open door. "What are you doing? Vindicator was a hologram, remember? He's not here. "

I snapped myself back into reality. "Sorry, I'm a little distracted, that's all."

I studied Katrina from a distance as she scoured the lab for anything that could be useful to our cause. She still had the pistol she'd pulled out of her boot. Now it was hanging loosely from her belt. Where'd she learn to use a weapon like that effectively? I could tell by her aim, posture, and the way she handled the recoil that she was familiar with firearms. We'd been friends for quite some time, but what did I really know about her? Not much. She's never mentioned any family or friends. I don't know where she lives or where she comes from. She's never told me anything about her personal life. We always speak of mundane things like what's for lunch and so on. Occasionally she'd ask me about my art, and I'd ask her about her music, but our conversations never went much deeper than that. I'd never wanted to press further because I wasn't ready to open up about my own traumatic past. Perhaps I should've asked more questions, maybe then I'd have a better idea of what kind of person I'm dealing with. Maybe I was so desperate for a friend I missed the red flags. I forced down the lump in my throat. I'd been double-crossed so many times this should hardly phase me, but deep down I felt an inescapable feeling of betrayal. She was my friend. Did she care for me at all, or was it all an act? Was she just spying on me for Bionic Corp this whole time? Was any of it real? I took a deep breath. We don't know for certain that she's Oblivion. It could all be one big misunderstanding.

Katrina caught me staring and giggled. "What's wrong? You look like you've seen a malevolent sea ghost."

I forced a smile. "Everything is fine," I signed. Everything was not fine, but I couldn't let her know I was on to her.

"I know you're lying. Is there something you're not telling me?"

I stared at the wall to avoid her cold, scrutinizing gaze. An overwhelming sense of dread grabbed a hold of me. I closed my eyes and counted down, alternating languages every time. Veinte, Nineteen, Dix-huit, Siebzhen, 十六, पंद्रह, أربعة عشر, Тринадцать, Doze, じゅういち, Dieci. Why do panic attacks always happen at the most inopportune moments?

"Atlas? Hello? Earth to Atlas." She waved her hands around, trying to get my attention.

"I said I was fine!" I signed with more ferocity than necessary.