Chapter Twenty-Seven 𑁍 Marisa Contreras𑁍

Katrina dragged me down the darkened hallway, leaving crimson footprints of Mason's blood trailing behind her.

I gazed back at the computer room, where Mason was bleeding out alone.

"Where are we going? Shouldn't I be searching for the Annihilation Code in the database?"

Katrina laughed. "You must not know much about the way Bionic Corp is run."

I crossed my arms defensively. "I was a hacker for them, remember?"

"Yeah, but you don't know them like I do. They'd never store something as important as the Annihilation Code in such an obvious spot. It has to be hidden somewhere we wouldn't expect."

I need to put my foot down with her. Katrina is a loose cannon, I have to take what I want while I still have the chance. I took several deep breaths, but it didn't stop the rush of my pounding heart. I didn't know how Katrina would react to being stood up to. "We can go on your little treasure hunt after you take me to Patch."

Katrina froze. "Um, no. We're getting the Annihilation Code first, then I'll free your uncle."

I shook my head. "Patch will be dead soon if we don't save him. The code will still be here when we get back."

"How do I know you'll still help me after I give up my leverage? How do I know you won't turn on me after that?"

"Because I'm not a backstabbing traitor like you."

She flinched, it was very subtle, but I noticed. For some reason, my words had an effect on her. She shook herself out of whatever daze she was in and waved the pistol around haphazardly. "The person with the gun decides what we do next. Everyone knows that, Marisa. So, follow me." She guided me to the room full of newspapers. She flipped over one of the boxes and dumped the contents on the ground. "Don't just stand there, help me search!"

I crossed my arms and shot her an incredulous look."You think the Annihilation Code is hidden in a box of old newspapers?"

"It's the last place anyone would expect."

I rolled my eyes. "Maybe afterward we can check the dumpsters outside."

"Great idea!" She said, not detecting my sarcasm. She unfolded the newspapers on the ground and began tearing through them for anything useful.

"Why do you even need me to sift through old newspapers? I thought you needed a hacker."

She shrugged. "You never know what you'll need on a quest like this one."

"I'm not even that good of a hacker. You could easily find someone better than me at Bionic Corp."

"I know, but you're the best I could do on short notice. Plus, I already have leverage over you."

"Isn't your boss going to wonder where you are?"

"Nope. That's what holograms are for. As long as no one touches me, it will look like I'm on patrol. Truly a marvel of modern technology. I don't know how I'd live without them."

"Can't they track your cybernetics?"

She shrugged. "They can, but they won't unless they have a reason to believe I'm not where I'm supposed to be."

I knelt beside her and sifted through the headlines.

13 Workers Killed in Accident at Bionic Corp Factory. Employees Protest Unsafe Working Conditions.

Bionic Corp's Cyborg Army Recruitment Program Targets Foster Kids and Low-Income Citizens.

Bionic Corp Workers Condemn Grueling Workload and Low Pay.