Twelfth

Geralt took us straight to the perfect part of the library, full with only studies, scripts and old books about every type of monsters and beasts of the Continent, making our task way easier.

We all jumped into action, swishing through books and books, page by page, reading the books in three different orders so we can't miss anything. We all went by details, looking for the virtues Geralt had described earlier: huge, white colored and bug-like, attack mode is attack then crawl back to recharge, etc. It made much easier to look only for bugs and bug-like creatures, so much eaiser that I found a possible suspect in less, than an hour – thanks for my quick reading skills due to reading tons of books during my studies to become a witch.

With a victorious glow in my eyes, I held the old, leather-covered book in my hands high toward the sky. "Got it!"

Geralt and Yennefer paused their own research straight away, hurrying to me. The witcher took the book from my hands, scanning the drawn image with his golden gaze, the witch beside him doing the same.

"That was the beast" declared my brother after minutes spent in nervous silence, looking up at me with a mixed gaze of avenge and sorrow. Mind reading wasn't my cup of tea, but I was entirely sure that it was Dandelion's torn body that made the human beast almost cry tears. He handed the book to Yennefer, turning away for a moment to rub his face to his clothes.

"Which means that we must make a cure against Pale Widow acid" continued the witch the chain of thoughts. She looked into the book for a moment. "Potions only heal part of the body. A given cream must be made as well, rubbed to the surface of the damaged skin"

"Against Dandelion's chest then" I said, thinking how and where we could collect the ingredients for this mysterious cream. "At least his mind won't get cloudy again... but we must still hurry up before the acid gets into his inside again. It'll try to weaken him again"

They both nodded in agreement,m with severity showcasing on their faces. Geralt was the first one who spoke up. "What do we need for that cream?"

I sighed, stuck with the question. "Good question. Mainly as we gotta make a special cure as the Pale Widow's acid is already in Dandelion's blood... the usual creams won't work"

This fact made all of us go silent, our thoughts swirling around the already-known things about the Pale Widow and Dandelion's symptoms. I couldn't hear it obviously, but I could clearly imagine how the cogwheels spun around in a soldierly bearing, focusing on the facts as if they were pieces of a huge puzzle.

We even sat down beside mugs of beer and some buttered, fresh bread to help our mind continue working. Thankfully, none of the other residents of Kaer Morhen asked why the three of us were like monks, only gazing into thin air without any words. The witchers chose another table, while Ciri sat beside Dandelion to have some chit-chat.

Soon enough, when the Sun said its goodbye for that day, I was already in my room. Silence surrounded me like a warm, wool blanket, just like the one wrapped around me in my bed. Everyone was in the rooms, either sleeping or making up theories ehich could help solve Dandelion's case finally.

And, to see a miracle, it really helped me. The brilliant and maybe a bit crazy idea hit me just before I had fallen asleep. My eyes opened in an instance, my heart beating in an abnormal pace as I put on a coat and dashed out of my room, toward my brother's room.

I began knocking like a madman, not caring how late it was or how rude it was to bother him at this hour. "Geralt, open up! I think I know the solution!"

The heavy, wooden door slowly opened up with a loud creak, with my brother standing with half-opened, tired eyes. He yawned, looking like a sleepy lion. "And what it is?"

I almost blurted it out, but the unexpected appearance of Yennefer beside Geralt, joining us from probably my brother's bed made me hold my words for a moment. I changed looks between the two, who didn't seem surprised by my about-to-made discovery of them sleeping together.

And, probably, having sex before that. I knew something more was between the two, which was more than friends.

"So" I wetted my throat to continue, shaking my head to regain my thoughts. "I think I know what we need for that special cure to actually work – the Pale Widow's own acid"

They looked confused for a second. In only some seconds, loyal to her knowledge as a witch, Yennefer's cheek brightened, putting the puzzle together. "So the poison will extinguish itself! Great idea, Neria!"