Thirteenth

"You can't be serious!" I argued, both anger and gasp mixed in my emotion.

Why was I going mad, you may be wondering.

Well, right after we had found out what we need to cure Dandy fully, all of us began collecting the stuff we may need on this journey. Weapons, potions and every kind of resources, including food and water as well.

Everything was ready to equip, we even had a tasty, filling meal of freshly baked potatoes and porkchops – but Geralt, my dear, damned brother chose the best moment to annouce his secretly made decision of me not going with him.

"I won't change my mind, Neria" Geralt grumbled with emotionless expression. Of course, I knew he feared he would loose his last remaining family member, but still. I was a fricking with, for God's sake. "It's too dangerous for you"

I rolled my eyes, then placed my face into my palms, rubbing the bridge of my nose. If anger was visible, my ears would have belched out smoke. Thick smoke, without a stop.

"Why not?!" I asked again, more fiercely. "Yennefer said she stays here, taking care of Dandelion. Then it would be better if you weren't going alone! I want my brother in one piece, as well....I haven't seen you since I was like 16. I don't want this to be our last meeting"

Everyone and everything was quiet. Everyone was waiting for Geralt's final decision, hoping that he will be sane enough to realise that a mission like this, when he must fight for a close friend can be more tough than his usual „jobs".

Ciri was beside Yennefer, while Dandelion was behind me, his arms folded around my waist. He didn't want me to go, either, I knew that well – however, at the same time, he knew that Geralt just couldn't go alone. Even if him fearing loosing me could be felt just through the way he held me tore out both our hearts, he knew I had to go.

I couldn't bear watching him getting weaker, paler and thinner day by day. I wanted my strong man, my strong and funny bard back.

And this was the only way.

At the end, after endless moments of anxious silence, Geralt gave an enormous sigh, shaking his head. "Alright. But just because you could scare someone with Dandelion's current look"

The man behind me straightened his back as if an insulted male animal would have done. Even his weak expression turned into an angry one between two coughs, his hands on his hips. "I'm well enough to understand such insult, Mister!"

We all laughed together. At least he still had his sense of humour.

"Meet outside at the horses in 10 minutes" Geralt added to me, signaling Yennefer and Ciri to follow him, then vanished into the snowy yard.

I turned around, toward Dandy, who was waiting there patiently. One could guess him being not entirely healthy, that was clear as the summer sky. Huge shadows surrounded his eyes, which were covered in frequent nets of little veins of blood. His hair was messy, his limbs thinner and weaker than usual.

Still, he tried his best to act as if nothin was wrong.

For us.

For me.

I couldn't ask for a better partner.

I stepped closer to him, my warm palms nestling to his ice cold, bony cheek. Chill ran through my spine, but was immediately forgotten by his wonderful, adorable smile. "Be careful, okay? I want you two get back in one piece"

I nodded, a faint smile turning my lips upwards. I stroked along his cheek, my fingers taking a last sample of his soft skin. I couldn't hold back the tears – the way he looked at me, the way he already feared I won't return squished my heart until it broke to tiny pieces.

"I'll. I promise" my voice was weak from the lump in my throat. Since we agreed on not kissing until he will be cured fully, I pulled him closer to me, until there was no space left between us, into a... scared hug.

I was shaking inside. I haven't fought a beast for years now and I wasn't sure that the suitable spells will pop up in my mind in such tense situation – still, it was my duty, the least I could do in return of his endless love, him wanting to be by my side in his remaining life.

So, in the end, even if my inside were shaking from the fear, I jumped up onto my horse and taking a deep breath, we rode out into the wilderness, following Geralt's directions, waving goodbye to Kaer Morhen and our friends, our family.

Don't worry, Dandy, my dear, I won't let death grab you so easily. He must get through me first.