Chapter 26

| MIKAEL RENMARR VARZON |

***

MY ELDEST sister was the first born Varzon in our generation. She had all the means to take over all of our companies. She was just like my father who's very competitive when it comes to business. When she died from the accident, all the responsibilities that were supposed to be hers ay pinasa sa 'kin. 

However, based on the chaos our family is facing right now, I learned that my sister wasn't really the first born Varzon and I'm worried about Marie's feelings if she will know about this. She admired her parent's love story a lot but now, I don't know how she is going to react to this if she will know about the other Varzon, the first born, Tita Laurez and Tito Nolan's eldest daughter, Marie's sister. It's a big blow to our family and even in the history, nothing close to this happened. 

My phone rang in the middle of the meeting. The architect in front representing her work stopped when my ringtone echoed the whole room. Ang ilan din na dumalo sa meeting ay napatigil at napalingon sa 'kin.

I motioned them to continue their thing. Hinugot ko ang aking cellphone sa bulsa at nakitang si Jared ang tumatawag. 

"Yes, Jared?" 

"Nasa ospital si Laviña. She was transported to the hospital after her fall for saving a puppy. In case you want to know," he ended the call after that. 

"You can continue the meeting, I need to go," I coldly announced right after I put down my phone. 

"Son," Dad tried to stop me but I continued walking out of the door. 

Mabilis kong pinaharurot ang sasakyan sa ospital na sinabi ni Jared. I tried not to panic as I asked the receptionist for Laviña Anessa Gasolina. I can already imagine her full of bruises that I immediately rushed where she was. Hinawi ko ang kurtinang nakaharang at nakita nga si Laviña. Nakaupo sa kama while the nurse is treating her wounds. I can see her sleeveless with bloods on it. 

She found my eyes. Nakabusangot na naman ang mukha niya at diretso ang titig sa 'kin, hindi iniinda ang ginagawa ng nurse sa kanyang sugat. I saw her surveyed me from head to foot. Bumuntong hininga siya at iritado na ang mga mata ngayon.

"Bakit ka nandito?" 

Kumunot ang noo ko sa tanong niya. "I'm worried so I came here-"

"May trabaho ka. Hindi ka na dapat pumunta rito," malamig niyang sinabi. 

Naglakad ako palapit sa kanya at sinuri ang kanyang mga sugat. It's still bleeding and swelling. The nurse looked away when I glanced at her way and continued treating Lav's wounds. 

"Pero nag-alala ako-"

"Wala akong pakialam kung nag-alala ka o hindi. Ang sabi ko may trabaho ka, hindi mo dapat iniwan ang trabaho mo para puntahan ako rito." 

I stopped as confusion washed over me. Laviña's eyes were emotionless, lips in a grim line and eyebrows met. Nakaupo siya sa hospital bed, may dugo na nakakalat sa kanyang suot. Maputi siya kaya nakikita ko kung gaano siya namumutla ngayon. But I couldn't ignore the fact that she's being cold to me right now. Kulang na lang itulak ako para makaalis na nga. 

"What happened? Are you okay?" 

Hindi ko maitatangging bigla akong kinabahan sa trato niya sa 'kin ngayon. I'm fucking worried but I understand this is her job, and I'm trying hard not to panic or something that's why I don't know why she's acting like this. I even wanted to hug her, my heart was beating too fast thinking about her condition. Nakalma lang nang magtama ang mga mata namin. Pero bumalik ang kaba sa dibdib ko, at nangibabaw ang rason no'n sa trato niya sa 'kin ngayon.