Chapter Nineteen

The fact that Steve, Captain America, was born on July Fourth was quite possibly the most comical thing Brianna ever knew. To her, it solidified her decision that he was born to be the star spangled man. It also made planning his birthday party easy.

"I can't believe you roped me into this." Tony groaned as he helped Brianna lay a tablecloth on one of the few tables outside.

"Well," Brianna began as she smoothed out the cloth. "Given that Sam, Nat and Steve are currently away on a mission. Thor and Bruce are nowhere to be found. My father has a family. That leaves Rhodey, Wanda, you, and me to decorate. Vision is proving to be quite beneficial since he can fly up and pin the streamers to the pergola."

"I can fly too." Tony argued.

"Yes, but you require a suit. Vision doesn't." She pointed out.

"And you're sure they're on their way? I'm not setting up all of this for nothing." Tony asked.

"Very sure. Natasha called me a few minutes ago. We have a few hours until Steve gets here." She assured him. "Besides, even if they don't show up we can still celebrate the Fourth of July."

"I hate love." Tony grumbled.

Brianna tried her best not to laugh. She knew Tony wasn't fully joking. Pepper and him had broken up weeks ago and ever since then he had been in a foul mood. She did feel bad for him, but she wasn't going to let him ruin Steve's birthday. Particularly her first birthday dating him. She wanted to make sure everything was perfect.

The theme for the party was of course patriotic. I mean, what else would she have done? She had red, white and blue everything; tablecloths, balloons, streamers. She of course went with traditional Fourth of July food; hamburger, hotdogs, chips, etc. There would be music. It was warm enough for people to use the pool if they wanted. She even hired a bartender. She had one tiny surprise that she wasn't going to let anyone know about until it was time.

"Who is paying for all this?" Tony asked.

"Me." She said and shot him a look.

"With what money?"

"Believe it or not Tony, before I became an Avenger, I had a job. I worked at summer camps teaching archery in the summer. The rest of the time I worked at preschools. I put money into savings." She explained.

He raised an eyebrow at her. "You like kids? I take it Steve and you will be having a few running around here soon."

"No, Steve and I will not be having kids. I have a lot of younger siblings, so I was good at taking care of kids." She explained and glanced down at the time on her phone. "I need to go change. Everything looks great. Thank you for your help."

Brianna excused herself and returned back to her room. She had picked out the perfect outfit for the day in her opinion. It was probably cheesy, but she didn't care. She put on a pair of high waisted jean shorts and a vintage Captain America t shirt tucked into the shorts. She found it quite entertaining that the Avengers had their own merchandise. You couldn't even walk into a store without seeing a shirt with their faces plastered onto it or a toy.

She pulled her hair up and tied a red bandanna around it. She heard the familiar rumbling of a quinjet and a smile spread onto her face. Steve. She hadn't seen him in a week since they left on a mission to potentially find Bucky. She wasn't even sure what country they were in and the communications had been minimal. She practically dashed out of her room to the platform.

She stood like a little kid on the sidelines as she watched it descend. The first to emerge was Sam. When he saw what she was wearing, he raised an eyebrow up and then shook his head. He wasn't even going to ask. Then, she saw Steve. Exhaustion loomed in his eyes and suddenly she felt bad for throwing him a party when in reality he just wanted to sleep probably. He stopped to look at her.