Chapter Twenty Seven

London

Brianna felt severely out of place as she sat next to Sam at Peggy's funeral. The past three days had been emotionally draining not just for Steve, but also Brianna. She became his rock. If he needed to cry, she held him. If he wanted to go through pictures of Peggy, she sat next to him, smiling and nodding as he told stories. She kept her distance from him whenever he spoke to a member of her family.

She didn't know the woman, at all. She of course admired her, but she was there for Steve. She watched him as he carried her coffin into the cathedral. A tear was rolling down his face. After he placed it on the holder, he walked over to sit next to her. He reached out for her hand and she interlaced her fingers with his. He needed her. He needed her now more than any other time.

Brianna listened intently as members of her family and those that knew her well spoke beautiful memories about the woman. It was enough to almost make her tear up. A young, blonde woman came up to the podium and she noticed Steve tensed. She looked at the woman and the back at Steve. Did he know her?

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of S.H.I.E.L.D... but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related. I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage... in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. She said, compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move... it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree... look them in the eye and say "No, you move." The blonde spoke.

Once the funeral was over, Brianna decided to give Steve a moment alone. She stood outside of the cathedral on the sidewalk with Sam. She enjoyed the sunshine warming up her face. The inside of the church was starting to feel stuffy or Brianna was just feeling uncomfortable.

"Do you know who she was?" Brianna finally had the courage to ask Sam.

"Who?" Sam asked.

"The blonde woman. Peggy Carter's niece." She said.

"Ah. Sharon Carter. She was a SHIELD agent. Why? You jealous?" He teased her.

Brianna shot him a look. "I'm not jealous. I just wanted to know who she was. It was evident Steve knew her."

"Oh, yeah. He knew her." Sam said.

Her face dropped. "What?"

Sam chuckled. "I thought you weren't jealous?"

"I'm not." She protested and drew her shoulders back. "I'm not."

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't be teasing. You just look so serious. I like to see you smile. My apologies."

"You like to see me smile?" She asked, a mischievous look in her eye.

"Yeah. You're like sunshine in human form. I must compliment you though on how you've handled all of this. It must be awkward. Steve's lucky to have you."

She shrugged her shoulders. "It hasn't been too bad. I love him and that's what you do for people you love no matter the circumstances. It's been difficult for him. I want to help in any way I can."

"You're a good person, Brianna Barton. I'm going to head back to my hotel. You need anything?" he asked.

She shook her head. "No, but thank you."

Brianna watched Sam leave. Just as he was leaving, the door opened and Steve walked out with the blonde, Sharon Carter, walking next to him. She clutched her bag tightly in her hand, but offered a faint smile.