Bill Willkins

Later that day, Ed and Lorraine set up for an interview.
"Do we really need that?" Peggy asks as Lorraine pours a glass of water.
"We'd like to be able to prove to the church that she's not making the voice herself. So, by holding the water in her mouth, we'll be able to show that it's not some form of ventriloquism." Ed explains.
"Does she have to be in the chair? Just. It makes me sick to see her sitting like that." Peggy asks.
"I know it's hard, but the spirit has shown an attachment to this spot. It'll be easier for Ed to contact it if she's sitting there." Lorraine explains before she sits down next to Cora. Lorraine grabs Cora's hand and squeezes it.

Everyone gets settled.
"You ready for this?" Ed asks Janet.
"I guess so." Janet mutters.
"It's December the 21st, 1977. This is Ed, Lorraine, and Cora Warren, sitting with Peggy and Janet Hodgson. Also present is Maurice Grosse. All right. Let's get started." Ed says.
Janet takes a sip of the water and holds it in her mouth.

"If there's something here that would like to communicate with us, we're all ears. Speak up." Ed pauses to wait for an answer.
"What do you want with this girl and her family?" Ed asks.
Everyone pauses again then Janet spits out the water.
"It say it won't talk with you all looking at me like this." Janet says.
"Strange! I won't why not? It's not been shy about talking up until now." Maurice butts in.
"How about we all turn our backs? Think it'll speak if we do that?" Ed asks.
"Maybe."
"Well... Let's try this again."
Everyone turns their backs. Janet puts more water in her mouth.

"So what do you think, Bill? We've given you your privacy. Now come on out and talk to us."
Everything goes silent. Then a bunch of ruckus comes from upstairs. The light near Janet turns off.

"Here I come."
"Am I talking to the spirit that's oppressing this family?"
"Is that what I am? Is that what I'm doing?"
"Yes. And I have come to put a stop to it. Do you know who I am?"
"Ed. Eddie. Edward."
"Ed is fine."
"Your father called you Edward."
"Not true. My father called me Ed just like everybody else."

Bill starts laughing. Everything goes silent again. Then more ruckus starts to happen upstairs. Cora jumps when the ruckus starts.

"Come on Bill. You're not a psychiatrist and I'm not her to talk about my father. Let's get down to business, what do you say? Hmm? Why don't you just leave those people alone?"
"Because this is my house!"
"It's not your house."
"Yes it is! I come here to see my family, but they're not here now."
"That's because you're dead. If your family did live here, they're long gone now."
"Where are they?"
"I don't know. If I did, maybe I could help you."
"I don't need your help!"
"Then why don't you just move on?"
"I don't believe in that."
"Why not? What would be so wrong with going to heaven?"
"I. Am not. A heaven man!"
"Well I got news for you, Bill. You see I don't care what you believe in. You see this?"
Ed shows his cross necklace.
"Help... it... let... go... help... it... let... go!"

The light then turns back on and Janet comes back. She spits the water back out.

~~~

A few hours later, Ed, Lorraine, and Cora are getting ready for bed.
"Are you sensing a presence?" Ed asks Lorraine.
"No, just the opposite. I'm not sensing anything." Lorraine says.
"We could be looking and hysterical neurosis. That would explain the multiple personalities and hallucinations." Ed mentions.
"That doesn't feel right, either. I can't explain it. My heat is telling me to believe them. I heard that voice with my own ears, but all I can sense is their own fear. I can't seem to see beyond that." Lorraine says before she lays down.

Cora sleeps on the inside while Lorraine sleeps on the outside.
"I don't think I can sleep this far away from you." Ed jokes.
"Well you're gonna. It'll give you something to look forward to when we get home." Lorraine jokes back.
"Mom!" Cora says.
"Oh come on. It was a joke." Lorraine says.
Cora smiles before she turns around and falls asleep.