Chapter 5 :Bad Art

The next morning I had woken up to a stormy day. It was evident from the night before that today wouldn't be good and the weather confirmed it.

I felt a little less scared as I woke up knowing it was no longer night. I scanned my entire room and found no sign of anyones presence that would  explain the text message I had gotten yet it made me nervous with every step I took.

I grabbed my phone and contemplated switching it on or not and decided not to. I left the house early determined to change my number and find a job.

I walked under the dark sky as rain drizzled and the cars splashed water on the sidewalks as they whizzed past me. I tried not feeling sulky or down but my mood got the best of me and I knew I was ticking like a bomb waiting to go off.

I arrived at the phone store and got a new SIM card. I broke the old one throwing it into the nearest trash can and inserted my new one in.Feeling relieved to have gotten rid of it I switched on my phone and was glad to see no new messages.

I began walking past the shops and businesses trying to see if there were any recruitment ads when I found one at a clothing brand store.

I walked in to see a lady dressed in a skirt and coat clinking her heels with every step she took. Her name tag read 'Anna'. She saw me waiting at the reception area and headed over to me.

"Can I help you?" Her tone was clipped and professional which made me nervous in a way.

"I saw you guys are looking for a model to shoot in your clothes? So I'd like to apply". She chewed her gum and stared me up and down gesturing for me to follow her to the back of the store.

We entered into what seemed to be a small studio. She handed me a pair of clothes.

"Put 'em on".

I took the clothes and waited for her to turn around or leave me alone to get dressed but it didn't seem that it would be happening so I turned around and got dressed into the short silky wrap around dress.

When I was done she began yelling for someone called 'Mikey' and he scurried into the room holding a camera.

"Take some shots of her let's see if she knows how to do this". She squinted her eyes at me and then trailed out of the room.

The photographer called Mikey stared at me flustered. He couldn't have been older than twenty five and seemed shy as he played with his glasses gesturing for me to stand in-front of the white wallpaper.

"Just stand here and pose as I take your picture. I'll get a few shots of you doing your thing". I nodded at him and his camera began flashing as I stood posing.

"You're a natural at this, you definitely have had experience before hand right?"

"Actually I don't, but I'm hoping to get into the business yet it seems I have no luck".

He stared at me from behind the camera as he angled the lenses. "Well I'd say this job is yours from what I can see".

I tucked my hair behind my ears as he complimented me. I had hoped he was right because if he wasn't then I'd truly give up hope.

"Alright we're done. I'll show her your shots and you can wait here to see what she says".

"Thank you". He nodded his head with a smile and walked out.

This was what nice people were like, they gave you hope and even if you were a failure they didn't try rubbing it in your face like a certain someone did. The face of Erebus came into my mind and I tried shaking it off.

I wouldn't let someone like him make me lose all hope. Rejection happened all the time and I had to get used to it, I had to.

The lady walked in with a serious expression and stared at me blankly in my face.