jobless monday. [rewritten]

"Here you go, one iced chai. Have a nice day"

You gave the barista a gentle thank you as you walk back to the table you were sitting at. You were currently at a cafe, finishing up your letter of resignation. Unfortunately, the publishing company you worked for for the past few months didn't work out, just like the other jobs you've had before it. As you send it through, the familiar feeling of incompetence enters your body once again.

You graduated top of your class from the University of Marley, with a degree in Literature. The all-nighters full of stress and uncertainty, the countless amount of hours studying, the ever-flowing tears, all of it paid off. You felt as if you were on top of the world, with nothing to ever bring you down from this high.

But that was a while ago, and the high did eventually end, sooner than expected. Now, at twenty-three years old, you sat staring at the screen of your laptop, wondering what hell went wrong. Yes, change is good and should be embraced, but this? Yea, probably shouldn't be embraced.

You adjust your glasses and take a sip from your drink. You start to search for jobs around the area since you didn't want to be jobless for so long. The majority of jobs in Marley for writing always circled around blogs, social media, the type of stuff you weren't into. Truthfully, that was the real problem — it just wasn't your specialty. You didn't want to admit it, you so desperately wanted it to work out. Just this once.

Ring!

You break out of your state of contemplation to a phone call from your father. You sigh, placing the phone against your ear.

"Goodmorning, dad"

"Goodmorning Y/n, how you doing today?"

"I'm good, just at this cafe downtown," you reply with a positive tone that was extremely false, but believable enough for your father not to be suspicious.

"You're not at work?"

"Uhh...no not yet, I'm getting ready to leave, " you lie through your teeth, hoping it was believable. You didn't mind the daily morning calls from your dad, just as long as he didn't mention-

"And how's my son-in-law?"

You close your eyes.

"Reiner's fine dad, like always. He's at work right now."

You've been engaged to Reiner for almost a year now. You met him during your second year of college, him being in his last year. Turns out his dad was business partners with yours across seas, so during dinner at the Braun's estate, you two immediately hit it off. He eventually proposed at the beach where your first date was at, and you saying yes with no hesitation.

Your father loved Reiner. In his eyes, he was the perfect guy for you; he could do no wrong. A brilliant orthopedic surgeon, who was formal and knew what he wanted. Structured, if you will. You two couldn't be more different, but hey, opposites attract right?

That was right for the first few years. Lately, you and Reiner's relationship has changed, he became distant. Even when being living under the same roof, he was there physically, but not emotionally. He's probably just stressed because of work, you would try to convince yourself. You shrugged off your feelings, hoping this was just a little bump in your relationship. A very long, year-long, but still, little bump in the relationship.

"Alright well, I got to go, business meeting to attend. Have a great day Y/n, work hard okay?"

"Will do, bye dad," you hang up the phone, placing it back down on the table. You quickly gathered your things and made your way to the bathroom, eyes blurry.