goodbye, old girl.

Now Playing... Come June - Mitch Rowland

You weren't sure if it was the overwhelming sense of comfort, not for a feeling, but for a person causing you to wake up, or if it was the overwhelming sense of grief, not for a person, but for a feeling you once had forcing you to. Nevertheless, your eyes opened. It was no longer the late spring you once lived seemingly ages ago. It was the late spring of today, covered in sheets that were different from before, yet all under the same burning sun.

You slowly rub your eyes to adjust to the sun that shined right on your rested eyelids, alongside a few blinks as you regain your sight. You weren't a stranger to this feeling; it feels as if it's a barbed wire around each day.

You weren't a stranger to life's inconspicuous ways of making you face the things you hide from, conscious or not. A deep thought to have on this morning that began with nothing but a mind that loved to give you challenges.

Holding your notebook with one shaky hand, and your cherry red nails grasping onto the pulled-back cover you keep out just in case you had a spur of inspiration for a future poem, you gazed around the town catching glimpses of everything your eyes could see. Everyone looked like they had somewhere to be, someone to meet. They were going to work, grabbing a coffee, and catching up with friends. Everyone had something they were doing, that was better than what you were at this moment.

The late spring air brought an overwhelming sense of comfort as you walked to your father's house. It began to feel warmer, marking the end of the season, and the end of your first month back at your hometown. June was right around the corner, and the days toward Mikasa's wedding grew slim.

You've spent most of your days with her and the other bridesmaids – if not with them, then at home. It wasn't as lonely as one may seem – your thoughts were plenty to keep you company. There was much to think about. Right now, present in the front of your mind was the thought of seeing your dad since the banquet you unexpectedly left.

Much to think about, but not much to do.

One thing you missed about the lovely Rose district of Eldia, was the walks. Yes, the walks that led to a bookstore, a tea shop, a creek, or a friend. They were all covered with fresh air, wide eyes, and a relaxed heart. Now, these walks covered you with a sense of comfort the painful nostalgia always had hidden with it. It was easy to lose yourself as you strolled by, you always had a habit of wandering. Finally looking up from the branch-like cracks in the concrete, you notice a wooden sign hanging on the side of an old building, with carved ivies as a border and cursive lettering that read;

Mockingbird Books - New & Used Books

Your eyes squint, this time not from the exposed sun as you walk closer to the building. You felt lured into it, your mind focusing on the hanging sign that slowly swayed with the occasional breeze. You get to the building, matching cracks alongside it with ivies covering the windows and stone walls. You notice how everyone just slowly walks by, not paying any mind to such a glorious sight.

Yes, you thought, I remember this place.

You remember the first time you entered this shop, the one your new friends, Sasha and Mikasa, introduced you to. A small effort from two inseparable girls towards a girl who had been separated her whole life. Someone told them you had a knack for reading.

With a small right turn from your wrist towards the copper handle, a small grating slowly becomes louder as you open the door, the aroma of beige pages and dim lights welcoming you. You slowly gaze around, memories pricing how much of the interior has changed. Same old, used, read books now on freshly painted shelves and walls filled with the most beautiful row of murals you'd ever seen.