what once was. [rewritten]

"What... are you doing here? Why didn't you tell me you were coming?" your dad questions you, looking slightly displeased. You were expecting this sort of reaction, so it didn't bother you as much.

"I wanted it to be a surprise... can I come in?" you ask as you look behind him.

"Of course," he moves out of the way. The house was left just the way you remembered it, with minor changes here and there. He always kept the inside minimalistic, cream-white walls with wooden panels, bookshelves along the hallway, plants here and there, and your favorite aspect of the house; the portrait of you, your father, and your mother. You stand in front of it for a bit and smile, pleased to see it once again.

"I suppose you heard about Mikasa's wedding, she came over when I was not here." he began as he sat down on the couch, "She asked one of the ladies for your number, they must have given it to her," he sighs, "And Reiner, where is he?"

"That's part of why I am here, after wanting to visit you of course," you give a fake smile as you sat down on the couch across from him, feeling a bit guilty, "and as for Reiner.... well you know, work. He wasn't able to come."

"Ah, that's a shame. How long are you staying?" he asks you once again, almost feeling like an interrogation. This may seem as if it was a casual conversation, but it was the exact opposite. You knew your father's tactics all too well — he knew something was off, he's trying to get it out of you. This is how it's always been. Yes, your dad always had your best interest in mind, but your view on the "best interest" was extremely different from his. It's always been the main cause of the rift between you two.

"I'm planning on staying for three months since I will be one of Mikasa's bridesmaids. And before you ask, I plan on renting out an apartment around here," you pointed out, causing him to give you a surprised face.

"That's a long time Y/n, what about work? You still have a job right?" he furrow his brows questioning you once again.

"Of course," you chuckled to try to relieve the tension, "Paid time off," you nod convincingly.

He stares at you for a second, making your palms sweaty at the intensity he was doing so. You remained calm, not letting your face give anything away. He sighs once again, this time giving you a small smile.

"Please come visit your old man while you're here, okay?" he softens his tone.

"Of course, dad. I should get going now, to settle in and all. Bye, love you." you get up from the couch and leave the house.

You sit down on the stairs outside with your suitcase, contemplating where to go next. You immediately reached for you phone, knowing exactly who to call at a time like this.

"Hello, Erwin? It's me Y/n, Nile's daughter. I have a favor to ask...."
-

You give a quick thanks to Erwin as he walks you to your new place; a nice penthouse in downtown Rose district, similar to the one back in Marley. It was smaller for sure, but classy and elegant. There was some furniture already set in, like the curved white sofa and the matching coffee table, the fireplace with marble finishings, and the beautiful loveseats outside on the balcony. You were in love with it, and the price — courtesy of Erwin who cut the rent down.

You make your way down the hall, entering your new room. You see the queen bed with white sheets and a wooden headboard, a desk with arranged plants on top, and two nightstands on each side of the bed. You kick your shoes off and drop your suitcase as you jump on the bed. You find yourself once again, just staring at the ceiling idly, not sure what to do next. You lift yourself and decide to call Mikasa.

The phone rings for a bit, and finally, she answers, "Hello?"

"Hey Mika, it's Y/n. I have news," you cooed, "I'm in Eldia."