back to the old house. [rewritten]

"So you're telling me you're going to the hometown that you haven't visited in SEVEN YEARS for three months.... because your best friend from high school is getting married?" Pieck asks you through the phone. Currently, you were walking into the airport to leave for Eldia. It's been about a week since Mikasa invited you to her wedding, and you kept contemplating this decision over and over. Ultimately, you thought it was time to go back home.

After all, you can't run from your past forever.

You stop walking and sigh, "....yes." you deadpan. Pieck was very skeptical about your abrupt decision, especially since you weren't one to talk about your life before Marley.

Pieck sighs as you continue walking, "Okayyy then....are you staying at your dad's—wait, you did tell him you're visiting, right?"

You stayed silent as you bite your lip, continuing to walk as you stare at the ground. You knew if you were to tell your dad that you plan on visiting Eldia he would try to talk you out of it; so you simply didn't tell him. You'll get to that when the time comes, for now, you ignore it.

"Right!?" she emphasized.

"Surprise?" you say, "It'll be fine, and no im not staying with my dad — god no, that would be horrible. I'll rent a place or stay in a hotel or something."

Pieck sighed, "Alrighty then." You arrived at your stop and waited in line to get inside the plane.

"Sooo! Are you excited to see your high school buddies? Do they know you're coming?" Pieck asks, somehow she knew you were nervous through the phone, awkward silences emitting between your replies. She was one of the least judgmental people you've met in your life, you appreciated that aspect of her. You knew, despite your impulsive and dumb decisions, she'd be there no matter what.

You smile and sigh, "Yeah I am, and I'm not sure, to be honest. From what I know, only Eren and Mikasa know I'm visiting."

"Tell me about them, I'm curious," she laughs.

"Right, well, we're a pretty big group," you laugh, "There's Eren and Mikasa, the ones who are getting married. Sasha and Connie, the funniest duo you'll ever meet. Historia and Ymir, never left each other's side... mainly because Ymir was totally in love with her. Armin and Marco, quiet but sweet guys," you tell her, feeling nostalgic, "and.... yeah that's it," your face softens as you look at the ground.

Good afternoon passengers. This is the pre-boarding announcement for flight 89B to Eldia. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready. Regular boarding will begin in approximately ten minutes' time. Thank you.

Chills run down your spine as you hear the announcement. You clutch the handle of your suitcase tight, trying to calm down your nerves. You play with your engagement ring, rolling it back and forth. This was it, no going back once you get on the plane. Your head was spinning with so many thoughts, causing you to have a deep pit in your stomach. Was this the right decision? There's still time to go back and leave, leave and stay in Marley. Stay here, maybe not happy, but idle. Maybe you could conform to a life of futility, leaving Eldia in the past, forever.

"This was too impulsive, I should go..." you mutter as you grab your suitcase, getting ready to leave your spot in line.

Pieck interrupts you, "Stop it, Y/n. Stop running," she mutters, "Face it, whatever or whoever it may be. You wouldn't be here if you didn't know deep down, it was the right decision. It's natural to feel like this, I mean, nine fucking years, who wouldn't shit their pants," she continues, giving you her usual comforting tone, "You'll be okay."

You stare at your suitcase and grasp it once again, "Yea, l'll be fine."

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome onboard Flight 89B with service from Marley to Eldia. We are expected to be in the air in approximately seven minutes' time. We ask that you please fasten your seatbelts at this time and secure all baggage underneath your seat or in the overhead compartments. Thank you for choosing Paradis Airlines. Enjoy your flight.