when we were young.

Jean Kirstein wasn't certain what his life would come to be, years down the line. He was okay with that. He's never been one to dwell on what could be.

Yet, he could never stop himself from dwelling on what could've been when it came to him and you.

Even now as he walks through the streets of his hometown once again, with a big painting waiting to be displayed for everyone to see, he found himself focused on what couldn't be displayed; his never-ending thoughts of you.

Sure, he's been with a fair amount of women through the years, but nothing as serious or as pure as what you both had. No, what you two was different. It was the type of connection that happens once in a lifetime, the ones you try to cling onto for eternity, just for eternity to end up being ripped away in a second.

Jean sighs as he enters the venue where the art show is being held, going up to where his painting will be shown. He looks at the blank white wall, his arms struggling to find the courage to hang his canvas up. It wasn't that he was nervous of criticism — no, he knew this would blow people's minds away, as it is undeniably his best work. It was the fact that the vulnerability that was his art is being exposed to people who have no idea what hidden meaning lies behind it.

"You're here early," a familiar voice calls out as they approach him, "Wanted to scout out the competition?"

Jean chuckles as he turns to face his friend, "Hey, Hitch," he began, holding the painting to where the front was hidden, "Sorry I didn't visit you when I arrived, was too focused on finishing the painting."

Hitch gives him a big smile, holding his arm, "Don't worry about it, I'm just glad you're back!" she exclaims, making Jean smile as well, "And from what Marco told me, for good. Now before I get too excited, care to confirm that for me?"

"It's true," he confirms, her green eyes somehow gleaming even more with happiness. She hugs him tightly from the side, being careful to not damage the painting, "Finally! I've, well, we've missed you!"

"I've missed you all, too," he mutters softly, Hitch letting go of him. She glanced at the painting he was holding, giving him a confused face, "Well? What are you waiting for? Hang it up, Picasso!"

"Right," he chuckles, staring at the painting. He looks up at the wall, slowly hanging it up. Once placed, he slowly walks back to get a good look.

One mere look was all it took. His eyes were filled with tribute, nostalgia, and a hint of sadness, all at once.

"Jean," Hitch slightly gasps, "Wow... you've outdone yourself this time. It's, it's beautiful," she says as she looks up in awe, eyes trailing to his face.

"It is, isn't it."

-

"An art show? How fancy!" Pieck gushes through the phone, making you laugh. It was the day of the art show, and you were on the phone with Pieck struggling to find what to wear. You weren't in any rush, yet your hands were shaking as you went through your racks of clothes. You assumed it was because you were reuniting with everyone, but there was still a weird feeling inside you, one that didn't derive from that. You tried shaking the feeling away, hence why you were now talking with your friend.

"Yes it is, which is why I'm having such a hard time finding what to wear!" you groan as you plop down on your bed, looking up at the spinning fan. You hear Pieck sigh through the phone, "You'll look good in anything, stop overthinking it!"