should've been me.

"Of course, she's engaged, I mean did you see her? She's gorgeous."

Jean slurs his words, courtesy of the eight consecutive glasses of whiskey he's just had. He decided to visit the bar after the art show, and Marco decided to follow him as well. Gut feeling, if you will. It seems like he made the right decision, as he found his best friend was drinking his sorrows away, everyone else looking at him in pity.

"I'm sorry, Jean," Marco says solemnly, patting Jean's back as he laid his head on the bar counter. He's never seen him so down, not to mention so drunk, before. He struggles to find the words to comfort him, "Hey, you'll find your person... eventually."

That's definitely not what Jean wanted to hear. He thought you were his person. He was sure of it, why else would you two have such a fateful encounter?

He sat in silence, his mind clouded with the image of you. He couldn't believe it, he finally saw you again. You were somehow even more perfect than he remembered, taking his breath away once again.

What a cruel gift from destiny, bringing you here to a hopeful Jean, just to show you've already been claimed by another.

He began to think about the man you were with. You smiling at his proposal, kissing and hugging your loving fiancé, among other things. His heart hurt at the thought of it. He grew angry as well, not at you, but at himself for not trying hard enough to seek you, to find you sooner.

"C'mon, let's get you home. We have to go pick up our pieces from the gallery tomorrow."

"Mmm," he groans, not getting up. Marco rolls his eyes, "I wonder what Y/n thinks about drunks who fall asleep in bars..."

"..."

Jean slowly stood up, Marco carrying him by the arm around his shoulder. They walked out of the bar, the night breeze cooling them down.

As he was being dragged by Marco, his head slowly turned to the side, his half-lidded eyes stopping upon a figure. One familiar figure.

"Y-Y/n?" he muttered, his eyes slowly blinking. Marco turns to where Jean was gazing, a confused look striking his face.

"What? I don't see anyone," he says. Jean looks once again, but the figure not being there anymore.

"W-what? I swear I just-"

"Yeah, we really need to get you home, you're hallucinating," Marco says with concern. Jean was dumbfounded, swearing he just saw you sitting on the curb. He gets into Marco's truck, looking up at the night sky, reflecting on tonight.

Although the thought of you brought him sadness, it also brought excitement. The excitement that he'll see you once again, very soon.

The next morning, you woke up early to meet up with Mikasa and the rest of her bridesmaids. You were to meet them at Levi's tea shop, where Mikasa would be discussing the order of things for the wedding.

As you got ready, you were interrupted by a phone call; your mind initially going to Reiner. Of course, you were wrong. You frown as you saw your father's name appear.

You sighed before answering, "Morning, Dad."

"Good Morning Y/n," he says, "How are you adjusting? Erwin had told me you rented a place from him. Surprised I didn't hear it from you."

You rolled your eyes at his passive aggressiveness, "Yeah, sorry, I've just been busy. Meeting up with old friends, you know."

Your father stays silent for a bit, "Is that so? Hm, how lovely. Well, just wanted to see how you were doing real quick. I have a meeting to attend."