6: The Meeting

Percy POV

This job is unlike any job I've ever had. I usually take more active jobs. I'm not used to a job that involves sitting at a desk for hours on end. I'm a writer, so I have experience with sitting and working for many hours at a time. However, when I'm writing, it's about passion and interest. At this job, I'm working for someone else. 

Essentially, I have to write email responses, take phone calls, and leave notes for Ms. Chase. She wanted to know everything even though I wanted to alleviate some of her responsibilities. 

I did help her though. On the first day, I was astonished by her schedule. She had back-to-back meetings without any breaks. I decided that I'd let her get some time off between meetings. Annabeth would appreciate the breaks later even if it meant that the day wasn't as efficient or effective as it could be. 

For example, I can easily reschedule a meeting if her day was too packed. 

However, Ms. Chase is what some might call a control freak. She needs to know everything, and she gets angry if I don't tell her something business-related. 

The first couples of days were especially rough. 

I relied on Silena and Katie for help. Silena was open to helping me figure things out. Katie works at a cubicle close to my desk. She explained the premise of our company and the architectural projects and business partners that we have. 

During breaks, I'd spend time with Katie, Silena, and Malcolm. They were cool and easy to talk to. Plus, we all shared the experience of working for this company and my boss. 

Annabeth Chase is the COO, not the primary boss.

Her mother, Athena, is the CEO of the company. Since this is an international business, Athena oversees everything while Annabeth handles local and national projects. 

We were at lunch downstairs when I was rudely interrupted. 

"Hello, Ms. Chase," I said, frantically standing up. My mouth was still full of pasta, and I quickly and painfully gulped it down. 

"WHERE ARE YOU? WHY AREN'T YOU AT YOUR DESK?" she snapped. Gods, she was angry at me again. 

"Ms. Chase, I'm on my lunch break, but I'm coming right now." 

I looked at my colleagues and friends, and they all nodded at me. "We'll handle the lunch. You better hurry," Malcolm urged. 

I silently thanked them before running towards the elevators. The ride up felt like the longest ride of my life. This happened often. Right when I'm on a different floor, Ms. Chase would need something. It was so annoying at times. 

I ran towards her office and knocked. 

The door unlocked, and I entered. I centered my heavy breathing before walking towards her desk. Ms. Chase's intimidating gaze washed over my body. 

She tapped her desk with her pen in annoyance. 

"63 seconds. It took you over a minute to come to my office," the boss gruffed. Her voice resonated through the office. Calm yet scary. 

"I was downstairs, ma'am, on lunch break." 

"I don't care what you were doing. You're my secretary, and your job should be to serve me when I need something." 

"Well, I'm here now, so what do you want?" I asked, slightly annoyed. I regretted my tone as soon as the words blurted out of my mouth. Ugh, I curse my tongue. 

Her gray eyes narrowed on my face. She stood up from her seat. Even though she was shorter than me, it felt like she dominated the room. It felt like she was a lion, and I was just a tiny mouse waiting to get eaten.