25: The Resignation

Percy POV

My heart clenched as I clutched the door handle to Annabeth's office. I had her favorite coffee in my other hand. I don't know what I was thinking. It was stupid to think that coffee would make up for my breaking up with her and quitting the job. 

I stared at the frosted heart on the coffee foam. Why did I make it a heart? 

I cursed at myself while retreating from Annabeth's office. I went back to the break room and used a straw to shift the heart into a flower. This was a safer bet. 

After mentally preparing myself to be firm, I knocked on Annabeth's office. The door clicked within a second. Annabeth was waiting for me today. 

"Hey, boss. I have your coffee this morning," I said. 

Annabeth simply stared at me. She blinked twice before throwing her hands up in frustration. Her hair flowed to the side as she stood up. 

"What the hell is wrong with you, Seaweed Brain? I've been texting you all weekend, and you didn't reply. What was I supposed to think?" she snapped. 

"It's exactly like it looks," I replied. 

"WHAT?!"

"I mean it, Annabeth." I set the coffee on her desk and faced her directly. She was standing across the desk with her arms crossed. 

"On Friday, you walked back into the party while holding hands with Rachel. Please don't tell me that your father is making you get with her," Annabeth commented. 

She was right on the money, which explained how intelligent she is. Furthermore, despite the situation, she wasn't doubting my loyalty. That emphasized how much she knew and understood me. Now, it was time to ruin our relationship. I wanted to tell her the truth, but I couldn't. Poseidon and Athena warned me about speaking up, and they have all the leverage. Also, there is a hidden camera in the room. 

They were probably watching everything right now. At least, Octavian is. 

"He's not making me do anything. This was my decision," I said while looking down. I couldn't look into her eyes. It hurt too much. 

Annabeth was taken aback. "What exactly are you telling me? I don't believe anything that you're saying right now," she said angrily. 

"It's the truth, Annabeth. I can't be with you anymore," I paused while scratching my arm. I felt awful. "It's not you, it's me."

"Don't give me that bullshit quotation," she snapped. Her voice rose several notches. She was close to shouting now. 

I didn't expect Annabeth to take this graciously. I knew that she would be pissed off. After all, I was in love with her, and she could feel that. She mattered so much to me, yet here I was breaking up with her. I hated myself for this. 

"I'm serious, Annabeth. This isn't working, okay? We have to break up. I don't like having a secret affair, so I'm breaking it off. Besides, Rachel and I have known each other for years. You can't blame me for getting back together with her," I expressed. 

"You've always said that you don't like Rachel anymore," Annabeth shot back. Her eyes were raging with thundercloud storms. 

I felt guilty for being the cause of them. 

I stammered in my voice. I didn't know what to say. I was trying and failing at breaking things off with Annabeth because I didn't want to. Instead, I wanted to hold on to her forever. Annabeth stepped around the desk and approached me. 

"Percy, what is going on with you? You can tell me," she said quietly. She rested her hand against my cheek. I instinctually leaned into her touch. 

However, I was also hyperaware of a spy camera nearby.