12: The History

Percy POV

I came shopping for a new suit. The Olympus Magnate was hosting a business formal for all the executives in the brand. That's the reason why Athena Chase was visiting the town. All the CEOs and representatives are attending the formal.

As Annabeth's secretary, I had to come.

I didn't want to go to the formal. I have no interest in my father's business brand. I don't want to be too ingrained in the Olympus Magnate. Plus, I don't see my father.

However, according to my boss, I don't have a choice. She needs me at the event.

As such, I needed to buy a new suit. My heart sank as I stared at the price tag of the navy blue suit. Have you guys ever felt this way? You see the price tag of something, and your heart sinks. I am feeling that right now.

The cost of this suit would care for three weeks of groceries at my house. It would be enough to pay half the month's rent.

I don't like telling people that I'm poor. I didn't tell Annabeth because I don't know. I don't want Annabeth to look down on me. I'm starting to like her, and finances shouldn't be a barrier between me and my boss. Although, there are probably other barriers between us anyway. However, she wouldn't be the richest girl that I've dated.

WAIT, HOLD UP.

I am not dating Annabeth. I'm not interested in her like that. I can't even believe that I thought that. Snap out of it, Percy.

I shook my head while grabbing the suit. My heart sank once more when I had to buy a new tie.

"This is such crap, bro," I exclaimed. "I can't believe I have to spend this much money on clothes."

"Welcome to the business world," Jason clapped my back. "I can't believe you agreed to attend the formal. It's going to be fun."

"No, it's not," I grumbled.

I bought the suit before Jason and I walked out of the mall. The Grace siblings were also attending the formal. Pretty much, anyone powerful or employed in the Olympus Magnate will be at the business formal. I didn't know what to expect. Jason has invited me for the past few years, but I refused to go.

"Stop being a negative Nancy," Jason chuckled at his joke. Jason is the type of person to laugh at his own jokes; he's not exactly the funniest guy.

"I'm not being negative. I just don't want to come to the formal. I don't want to see Posieodn, and I have no interest in the business."

Jason softened while we walked to my car. He knew all about my history with Poseidon. Of course, Jason and Thalia despised Poseidon for how he treated my family. The world of business is filled with successful people, but they aren't the kindest or most loyal.

I also don't care about business. I am working for Annabeth's company out of necessity rather than desire. While I was starting to enjoy Annabeth's intriguing presence, the job wasn't my cup of tea.

If it were up to me, my occupation would be an author.

I wouldn't have to worry about any other job because my books would sell all over the world. That was the dream. However, some dreams can't be a reality. At least, not yet.

"Well, I'm happy that you're coming," Jason said. "I guess that you'll attend events if Annabeth asks, huh?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You're smitten for your boss. You're doing everything that she asks. You're even spending more time at work and with Annabeth."

"Dude, she's my boss. I have to listen to her," I affirmed.